Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze While Booting

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GreggT6170

GreggT6170

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

I am running XP Home and if I restart the computer its a roll of the dice if it will actually restart. It will freeze at no particular spot. It has stopped at the XP window with the bar that goes back and forth, at the screen what says press F1 to enter setup and all points in between. I had gotten to the point where it would not restart so I had a repair done and had the hard drive replaced. It work fine for a few days and started doing the same thing.

I'm by no means a "computer guy" so forgive me in advance if I have to ask simple questions.

One other thing, I have gotten an error message a couple times during my numerous attempts to restart. It said "Floppy Disk Failure 40", but I have also seen this before the hard drive was replaced.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:24 AM

Hi GreggT6170, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Do you have a Floppy Disk Drive? If so try this. Look in the Device Manager and see if there are any errors showing next to the Floppy Disk Drive or Floppy Disk Controllers, errors are represented by a red X, warnings are represented by a yellow triangle with exclamation mark inside. If there is an error, double click on the device and a page will open with three tabs at the top, on the page of the General Tab. In the middle of the page is the Device Status box, if there isn't a problem with the FDD it will read "This device is working porperly", at the bottom of the page is Device Usage, make sure that it is enabled. If you don't have a Floppy Disk Drive disable it in the Device Usage, click on the down arrow and choose the option to disable it.

To access the Device Manager go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Are you sure that the people that worked on you computer replace the hdd and installed XP?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 GreggT6170

GreggT6170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

Dc3
The computer doesn't have any floppy drives and the hdd was replaced I went from 80GB to 120GB.

I disabled the Floppy Disk Drive and a red x appeared.

I have only seen the error message about the Floppy about 10% of the time when I attempted restart.

Thanks
Gregg

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery on your motherboard? If they fail, you'll lose some settings in your BIOS, and you may have some boot issues. It's usually a shiny thing about the size of a nickle (it's usually a CR2032 battery). Make sure that you unplug your computer and ground yourself on the metal of the case before poking around inside.

PS - if this is a laptop, it may be a different procedure. If so, let us know the make and model so we can figger it out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 GreggT6170

GreggT6170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

I have a desktop and no, I have never replaced the battery. That would make it 4 years old. Its an easy enough repair so I'll do it but what odds that's the problem. If this doesn't fix the computer it might be a day or two before I can get it to restart.

Another thought, every time I did get the computer to start I did it by the power switch in the back. When it freezes I power down by pushing the button on the front and if I only use that one it usually wont boot. But if I flip the switch in the back off first and then boot that works most of the time. Could it be a power supply issue?

Thanks for the help.
Gregg

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:39 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:01 AM

Replacing the CMOS battery is a long-shot, but I've seen crazier things work.
FYI - what caused me to guess at the CMOS battery is the error messages about F1. Sometimes they will be caused by the BIOS forgetting some settings, which are stored in your CMOS.

Other, more dire possibilities are that there's an issue with the motherboard. What make and model computer is this?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 GreggT6170

GreggT6170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

It is a Northgate computer, model I-1. It has a Foxconn motherboard 650/651MO2. I'm running XP Service Pack 2. The processor is a Pentium 4 2.5 GHz with 512 MB ram. I also have a Geforce FX5200 Video card if that matters.

I have a motherboard installation CD, would that contain the BIOS setting or do I just have to copy them down. Can I burn a CD with the settings on it? I've seen the topic about a boot disc but they all refer to floppy disc, will it work with a CD? If I can burn it, do I trust the settings since they might be incorrect.

I'm starting to sound like a 3 year old with a thousand questions, but I really do appreciate the help. Every repair place I talk to says I should just buy a new computer but that isn't an option at this time.

Thanks
Gregg

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:22 PM

That suggestion/advice to copy CMOS settings before replacing battery...is pretty old, stemming from days where BIOSes were a bit different.

I suggest disregarding that, I've not found it necessary in the 12 years that I've had some sort of PC.

If you haven't gone into your BIOS and adjusted a few settings, the default settings will be the same ones which you were using. If you adjusted any settings (or wish to), you adjust settings any time once the problem gets resolved.

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:52 PM

I asked about the make and model of the system because we have a lot of problems with the motherboards on eMachines systems (and are seeing an increase in problems with Gateway's also). I haven't heard of any problems with FoxConn motherboards - and a Google for your model doesn't show any significant issues that I could spot.

Once you've replaced the CMOS battery, you can go into your BIOS and see if there's a key press to reset the board to Default or Optimized values. That'll set it to the state that the manufacturer designed it for.

#11 GreggT6170

GreggT6170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Well, I tried it. I replaced the battery and it took 10 tries to get the computer to restart. I set the BIOS and CMOS to optimized setting, you're right there was a key. I changed the device manager back to enable the floppy disc and that made no difference on either setting.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Gregg

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:46 AM

Let's start with some basic troubleshooting tests and we can proceed from there.

First, I'd suggest running a hard drive test available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. You can either get the one that works within Windows, or you can download a bootable one and run the test from the boot CD.

Next, I'd suggest this free memory tester: http://www.memtest86.com/ Boot from the CD and let the test run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If you get errors you can stop the test right then and there (and we may have more suggestions if there is a memory error).

Finally, I'd suggest running this free software from within Windows: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264 It'll give you a basic idea if there are any problems in your motherboard.

Post back with the results of these tests and we can move on from there.

#13 GreggT6170

GreggT6170
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:59 AM

I tried to run the scan from SiS and my computer froze I will try to run the others but it took 2 days to get it running. I did change the BIOS from default to optimized and it started, so if I don't respond for a couple of days its because the computer isn't working.

Thanks
Gregg

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:02 PM

The hard drive and memory tests will run even if Windows isn't working - you'll just have to boot from the CD that you burned (using an ISO burner, not a regular disk burner).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users