Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mup.sys On A Dell 8100 With A New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RangerRick

RangerRick

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

I would like to think this isa simple problem, but I have not found any help as of yet. My motherboard died. Someone gave me a know good working dell 8100 desktop without a hard drive. I tested my old hard drive in my other working computer and it is okay. But I am getting a blue screen error message when I start the computer, never making it to windows. If I try safe mode it hangs on mup.sys. I am guessing the problem is that my hard drive is not setup to work with the bios. I cannot seem to get the cd-rom to boot up the Win xp installation disc, even if I change the boot order in bios. Please help.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid results from unasked questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:20 PM

If I understand this correctly, you took a hard drive with Windows installed on it from one computer and installed it on another computer? When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it as a master in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from an article from Intel which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article . This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RangerRick

RangerRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

Thanks dc3. What you said was what I was thinking. So what is the fix if I want to put a new master hard drive into a computer without a hard drive when it seems not to see the cd drive( it does in bios)? Will I have the write zeros to the new hard drive to clear it of it's data and then the conflicts will let the cd drive work? Or is there a better way and I really cannot remember how to write zeros to a drive. I think I used western digital software to do such and belive it or not this computer has a floppy drive. Thanks again for the help.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

If you have a new hdd that hasn't had anything installed on it, hasn't been partitioned or formatted, it is ready for you to install it and make those installations.

Have you tried that CD drive in another computer so that you know that it is operating properly?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RangerRick

RangerRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:51 PM

I will try the cd drive in another computer and I also have another drive from the last computer, but bios can see the drive and it spins. Which does not mean much. As for the hard drives (I have two to chose from), both are hard drives from that are known, good and working drive but any least one has os on it and the other one likely has a os and may be partitioned. So I think that is the main issue. Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:03 AM

There are some ways around the problem of moving a hard drive - most are summarized in this article: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Most times the process involves booting into Windows in the old computer and uninstalling all the hardware that you can. Then shut down the computer and DO NOT REBOOT!!!

Then, put the hard drive in the new computer (and DO NOT BOOT!!!). Then boot directly into a repair install from the XP CD (instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Caveat...If you have IE7 installed, read this article first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

The problem that usasma is referring to is that usually when you take a hdd with Windows installed on it out of one computer where it was installed and install it in another computer as the master hdd you are asking for trouble. There are IDs in the registry that are related to the motherboard chip set, when you introduce the different motherboard with the different chipset the registry sees both the old and new IDs and gets confused. This usually results in needing to reinstall the OS. If you wish to read exactly what happens, read this Intel article. Microsoft addresses the same problem, you can read it here .

What usasma has suggested can work, but I would suggest first backing up what ever important files you have on the disk to removable media like CDs, DVDs, flash drive, or another hdd.

One thing you might want to do along with backing up your files would be to make sure that your CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, if it isn't your computer will not boot from the installation disc. You can either open the BIOS and see if it is, or you can place the installation disc in the CD-ROM and reboot the computer, if it boots from the CD then the CD-ROM is already the first device.

#8 RangerRick

RangerRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Wow, this is even more tricky than I thought it was going to be. I thank you both for your help. But I think with my time, or lack of it(50 hours a week at work and remodeling a house to boot)[pun attended], it would be a bad move to give any free time to the resurrection the old computer. I will try plan B. As I have a feeling that a new, untouched hard drive from the store will fix the issues. If this is not going to solve my problem, please let me know. I plan to get a small, cheap as possible with quality problems drive for just the OS. Now I think I understand why the exteral hard drives have become so popular. I already have one and have been using one for over 2 years, maybe three. Thanks again and let me know if I am on the right track.

PS. the cd drive was set to boot first.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:09 AM

If you can't boot from the CD drive - then that's the first order of business. Without it, you can't use any CD based tools.

Once that's done, if you've got all the Dell restore disks, then restoring it should be fairly easy. Start with the Operating System disk, then the Driver's disk(s), then the Applications disk in order to put the computer back to factory new condition.

Or, format the old disk (with the OS CD) and then freshly install Windows as in the previous paragraph.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 RangerRick

RangerRick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:53 PM

well I could not get the cd drive( I try a couple) to work with no luck. Even though the drive was seen in bios and it was first it the boot order. I was able to get a old win 98 floppy to work. So I loaded 98 and then upgraded to xp. Strange way up to go but it worked. Thanks again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users