Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Reading Material

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JR9999

JR9999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there was any book, or other kind of reading material that i could buy to further my knowledge in internet security, or something to help fight against malware and other viruses.
I googled a few, but i want to know if anyone has any books they have read and approve of. Thanks in advance....... JR
"God created men.. Winchester and Baseball bats made them equal" Evel Knievel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:54 PM

Have you checked out the Tutorials tab, at the top of the page?
There should be enough security information in there, to keep you busy for a while, along with some other interesting information. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Try to google not for books but for information to read. I'm sure that you can find more information in the Web than in any book. Internet security is so widely discussed and researched that you can find lots of info easily. And free :thumbsup:

#4 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

Join the trainee program here, more stuff to read than you could read in your life time :thumbsup:

#5 JR9999

JR9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

Sorry i guess i should have been a little more specific. I wanted a book so i could take it to work with me. I work for the government and they are very picky about what we do on the computer. And i have been trying to apply for the trainee program, but i guess i miss the open slots.. Thanks again.... JR

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

One I have read (v.2, haven't got v.4 yet)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/8455/

The reviews for this look good.(i have not read it)
http://www.adwarereport.com/spyware-books/0974561118.php

PC Magazine has always been a good resource for Windows users.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ntrepreneu0a-20

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

I googled a few, but i want to know if anyone has any books they have read and approve of. Thanks in advance....... JR

Ok lets turn this around then :thumbsup:. What are these "few"? It also depends on which angle you want to tackle this massive area.

As for the HJT Training Programme. Just keep re-checking. The "low" volume of free spots is to keep the quality of training and the ration student to teacher at a good level :flowers:.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#8 JR9999

JR9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestion raw.. I will definitely check them out. Some of the books i have looked at on Google were mostly the Rootkits for Dummies and some of the basic OS books. I have an above average knowledge of many different OS, i just wanted to learn a little more. Thanks to everyone...JR

#9 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

If you are into rootkits, this is supposed to be a good read. There is a dozen books out there that are of suggestive value, just depends what your direction of interest is. I ve always meant to read them all. But since I have been short in "reading state" lately, I havent gotten around it yet.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#10 JR9999

JR9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

Thanks a bunch Yourhighness! I will be sure to check this out. I understand about the reading state ha ha. I get bored at work though, so hopefully i can get back in to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users