Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I NEED HELP!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

Ok my laptop is being a real bleep. Everytime I turn it on while it says "Microsoft Windows" and it has the blue loading bar thingy, I get the bleeping Blue Screen of Death and then my laptop automatically restarts it self, and it will continue to do this forever. However if I leave it at the point where it says "SMART Failure predicted" it doesn't give me the blue screen of death and it takes longer to restart. I can't even get into windows, I can't even get to the point of login. And yes it does the exact same thing for every startup potion (F8).

I NEED HELP! IF I CAN'T GET TO MY DATA I WILL LOOSE ALL OF MY PICTURES FROM MY DIGITAL CAMERA. I HAVE ABOUT 1300 SINCE CHRISTMAS, SO YEA THIS IS REALLY PERSONAL!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

are u able to boot to your windowsxp CD? If so you can either try a repair install or you can go into the recovery console and do a chkdsk, fixboot & then a fixmbr.
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:17 PM

i'll have to try that... as soon as i find my XP Pro CD. :thumbsup:

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 04:18 PM

ok, post back when you try. I have a few other suggestions...but I'll save them till I hear back from ya

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

Ok I just found my disk. Ok I booted from it, and I get the old Windows 3.11 look and I'm given the following options:

* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER

* To reapir a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, Press R

* To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

I selected R and I'm taken to what appears to be the command propmt however, the DOS command dir/p isn't working to I typed Help and got a list of commands and I'm running chkdsk. :thumbsup: hopefully this will do something to help me :flowers:

Edited by yanowhiz, 11 April 2005 - 06:17 PM.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:58 PM

Like I said I selected R, got to the prompt thingy, and ran chkdsk... then restarted...

I'M IN WINDOWS!!!! :thumbsup:

I just did a back-up over my network. :flowers:

#7 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:14 AM

Horray! Congrats. Glad I could help

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

I believe the "Smart Failure Predicted" applies to the hard drive. Get whatever data transferred off it while you can and get ready to replace the HD.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

Good thing I got those backups cause when I came home from school today, I couldn't get anything to work! The only thnig I could do was install Windows XP Pro, however my computer keeps randomly turning off. I did what I learned a long time ago to fix that on laptops, which is you turn off the laptop, pull out the battery, and unplug the power, and hold down on the power button for like a minute. Well that did help the problem some what.

However I couldn't get any other version of Windows to even let me install without getting the BSOD. Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP Home (really weird), even my beta copy of Longhorn. For some reason it would only allow XPro without me getting the BSOD.

So I'm just going to take it into Radioshack (my 5 year warranty, (good until like November of 06 :thumbsup: ) and have them replace the hard drive (if I buy one and put one in there "myself" it will void my warranty. However if they do it (i have to buy the hard drive from them which is outragous in price) they will charge for the HDD and to have it installed. :flowers:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

Good thing I got those backups cause when I came home from school today, I couldn't get anything to work! The only thnig I could do was install Windows XP Pro, however my computer keeps randomly turning off. I did what I learned a long time ago to fix that on laptops, which is you turn off the laptop, pull out the battery, and unplug the power, and hold down on the power button for like a minute. Well that did help the problem some what.

However I couldn't get any other version of Windows to even let me install without getting the BSOD. Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP Home (really weird), even my beta copy of Longhorn. For some reason it would only allow XPro without me getting the BSOD.

So I'm just going to take it into Radioshack (my 5 year warranty, (good until like November of 06 :thumbsup: ) and have them replace the hard drive (if I buy one and put one in there "myself" it will void my warranty. However if they do it (i have to buy the hard drive from them which is outragous in price) they will charge for the HDD and to have it installed. :flowers:

If they're going to charge for the HD and the labor, what does the warranty cover?

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

I wasn't clear enough. They will have to replace it themselves and put in a new one cause my laptop has to been in working order, according to the contract warranty. So they have to make sure it can be used before they can give it back to me. :thumbsup: So yea... however if I wanted a bigger hard drive I think they would have to pay, however I wonder if I could get a bigger hard drive in this case? :flowers:

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

I wasn't clear enough. They will have to replace it themselves and put in a new one cause my laptop has to been in working order, according to the contract warranty. So they have to make sure it can be used before they can give it back to me. :thumbsup: So yea... however if I wanted a bigger hard drive I think they would have to pay, however I wonder if I could get a bigger hard drive in this case? :flowers:

Maybe if you offered to pay the difference in price.

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

Yea, I'm going to try that cause, I was saving to get an external hard drive. (160GB for like 130$ at newegg.com :thumbsup: ) However if they let me i'll just have them replace it with a bigger one with me paying the difference.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:09 AM

What kind of laptop is this? A couple of the big manufacturers have had recalls on their drives and I know Toshiba was having big problems.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

Its a Compaq Presario 2176rs laptop. It has a fujista hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users