Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious File Deletion Problem & Windows Explorer Crashes!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ilovesd90macs

ilovesd90macs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

HI guys im having a serious problem with my computer. I tried to rename a file earlier and did. I changed the file extension accidentally, and as soon as it saved the problems started! A message popped up saying rundll32 has stopped working, then about 3 seconds later Windows explorer has stopped working. The messages keep just parrading on. I can not acces start menu bar, or anything related to windows explorer. I know this file has to be the problem but I cannot delete it!. Every program i use to try to get at the file explorer crashes and restarts and im back where i started. I need a way to delete this file because i basically cant use my computer!! I tried using command prompt but I dont know how to delete a file on the desktop using it. Your help would be appreciated! Thanks, Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:07 PM

Hello ilovesd90macs and welcome,

If Explorer crashes and you can't get to the start menu you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL this will bring up the Task Manager click New Task and type explorer.exe this will restart explorer.

To delete the file, firstly, what is the file? is it a system file? Or is it a user created file?
If you want to delete the file using command prompt. use the dir command to list all the directories in the location the prompt is pointing to. Then the cd command to change directory i.e cd Documents and settings. then the del command. i.e del random file.

If the file refuses to go quietly then you can use Unlocker this tool will unlock the file from the process that is using the file and allow it to be deleted.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ilovesd90macs

ilovesd90macs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hello ilovesd90macs and welcome,

If Explorer crashes and you can't get to the start menu you can press CTRL+ALT+DEL this will bring up the Task Manager click New Task and type explorer.exe this will restart explorer.

To delete the file, firstly, what is the file? is it a system file? Or is it a user created file?
If you want to delete the file using command prompt. use the dir command to list all the directories in the location the prompt is pointing to. Then the cd command to change directory i.e cd Documents and settings. then the del command. i.e del random file.

If the file refuses to go quietly then you can use Unlocker this tool will unlock the file from the process that is using the file and allow it to be deleted.

OK so here is the deal. I can restart explorer, but it crashes within a second. The file is a user created file. I tried deleting the file through command prompt, but it freezes command prompt :huh:. I also tried to get the unlicker but after its downloaded I cant acces it :huh:

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

What file are you trying to delete? Have you tried starting in safe mode? Or logging in using a different account?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 ilovesd90macs

ilovesd90macs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

What file are you trying to delete? Have you tried starting in safe mode? Or logging in using a different account?

Its just some stupid video clip. I did try in safe mode, explorer.exe still crashes when i try to do anything there too. It starts crashing as soon as I turn the computer on. I restart it and 2 seconds later it crashes again.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:17 AM

That is strange, a video shouldn't be causing this sort of behaviour unless it had a virus embedded within it.

If you press the windows key + R and type eventvwr.msc

Look through each of the categories can you see any errors and warnings?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

You can use a Live Linux distribution, or a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD (free here: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ ) in order to access the file and delete it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users