Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Ufd.sys File For Usb 1.1 Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 etalmar

etalmar

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hello All,

I recently received an Iomega CD-RW 52x24x52x / DVD-ROM 16x USB 2.0 External Drive from a friend. When I plugged it into the USB port, I received the following error message:

The following error occurred: 'The file was not found' (error #2)

Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk.

Source file: 'C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY\Ufd.sys'
Destination file: 'C\WINDOOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\Ufd.sys=sp1.cab'

I have read in previous posts on other forums that unfortunately this error seems to be a common problem with Win98SE USB ports, as they still have the older 1.1 version, as opposed to the modern 2.0 version on new OS.

I went to the Iomega site and downloaded a 14.3 MB file that was recommended for all Win98 users to do before they filed a support request. The name of this file was USB and FireWire (1394) Update Module : English.

After downloading the update module and restarting my computer, still nothing at all. By nothing, I mean that when I plug the Iomega external drive into the USB port, it does not recognize it at all. The port is working however, as I also have a SanDisk Cruzer 512 MB thumb drive that works just fine via the same USB port, so there is not any problem with the port malfunctioning, other than this infernal mysterious 'Ufd.sys' file, which I cannot find anywhere as a separate download.

I do not want to download exuberant's 2.1a cumulative patch. All I would like to have is the separate Ufd.sys file.

If anyone could possibly upload that to this forum somewhere, or point me to another external link, I would be most appreciative, as this Iomega external drive is very nice and I would like to actually use it sometime soon.

Thanks very much for any help that someone in this forum could provide.

PC: Compaq Presario 5838
CPU: Athlon 500 MHz
RAM: 128 MB
USB: 1.1 (Viatech)

Edited by etalmar, 06 July 2008 - 09:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

Why not buy a USB 2.0 add-on card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 etalmar

etalmar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion garmanma, but I'm not ready to rip open my tower and risk causing other unforeseen problems, just to install a USB 2.0 card. I was looking for a software solution, but it may not be feasible. Even if I'm lucky enough to find the file that I need, I'm still not 100% sure if this problem can be resolved via downloading ufd.sys or not, or if it will generate another system file error after correcting the ufd.sys one.

Edited by etalmar, 06 July 2008 - 09:34 PM.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

You may not need that file if you use Native USB drivers.

For Windows 98SE, there is an unofficial "Maximum Decim Native USB Drivers" pack. It supports USB flash drives, digital photo and videocameras and other similar devices and Universal Stack USB 2.0.

It is only for Windows 98SE English Version.
You will have to uninstall all USB drivers for USB flash drives and USB 2.0. Then Remove all unknown devices from device manager (press winkey+pause). Then install NUSB. On restart it will detect them all :thumbsup:

You can download it from rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/70087438/nusb33e.exe.html

Hope you find this information useful :flowers:

#5 etalmar

etalmar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

You may not need that file if you use Native USB drivers.

For Windows 98SE, there is an unofficial "Maximum Decim Native USB Drivers" pack. It supports USB flash drives, digital photo and videocameras and other similar devices and Universal Stack USB 2.0.

It is only for Windows 98SE English Version.
You will have to uninstall all USB drivers for USB flash drives and USB 2.0. Then Remove all unknown devices from device manager (press winkey+pause). Then install NUSB. On restart it will detect them all :thumbsup:

You can download it from rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/70087438/nusb33e.exe.html

Hope you find this information useful :flowers:

Thanks for the suggestion Romeo29. I tried the Maximus Decim download, but it didn't work, so I have decided to stop the insanity and just plug in the Iomega burner to my wife's laptop, should I ever wish to make a backup of files or photos, as her OS is WinME and the burner works well on it.

Edited by etalmar, 09 July 2008 - 10:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users