Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Vs. Core Temps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pgbsamurai

pgbsamurai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

I just picked up a Q6600 and got my system all up and running:
Q6600 @ 2.4ghz (Stock)
Zalman 9500
4 gig A-data 4-4-4-12
Asus P5K Pro
Vista 64 Ultimate
My question is this, when I run Speedfan to check my temps I am getting the following at Idle

CPU 43C

Core 0 30C
Core 1 32C
Core 2 27C
Core 4 31C

At Load I get:

CPU 58C

Core 0 47C
Core 1 48C
Core 2 45C
Core 3 47C

Ambient 22C

My question is this, should I worry about my CPU temp being so high (@ stock), or should I just be concerned with my Core temps which seem fine?
Looking though other forums I have found mention of Core temps being much higher that CPU temps, but I can't find much on CPU being higher than Core.

Anybody have any thoughts?

P.S. Wanting to overclock, but haven't yet as I want to make sure my Temps aren't gonna go too high.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Those temps don't seem bad at all. What kind of Thermal past did you use?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 pgbsamurai

pgbsamurai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Zalman Super Thermal Grease.

The core temps seem fine to me I am just a little worried that the CPU temp readout is as high as it is at stock. Trying to figure out if I should go with the core temps as more accurate or the CPU temp as more accurate.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:21 AM

Those would be about regular temps. I wouldn't start worrying about them unless they start shooting up too 60C or higher
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:30 AM

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/...peratures.shtml might be worth a look.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 pgbsamurai

pgbsamurai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

Thank you for the replies, but perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am not worried about the temps, I know what is good and bad as far as that. What concerns me is the discrepancy between the CPU temp readout and the Core readouts. Most of the threads that I have read describe the CPU temp as lower than the Core temps, but in my case the CPU temp is a good 10C above my core temps. I know that the Temp threshold for the Q6600 with B3 Stepping is 62.5C and the G0 Stepping is 71C. My question comes to whether that is the CPU temp, or the Core temps that can't go above the threshold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users