Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange File Found During A Virus Scan - Carny_ride.exe

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ioreku

ioreku

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hello, I was hoping I could get some advice on a rather peculiar problem that I encountered recently.

During a quick scan using Symantec AntiVirus, I was wondering why the scan took way longer
than usual, (quick scans usually take around two minutes for me) in this particular instance, the scan
was going on for about 4 minutes before I decided to stop it. Interestingly enough, I found that
the antivirus was stuck scanning a file named carny_ride.exe (the entire path is C:\FAUXVIRUS\carny_ride.exe).

The antivirus didn't remove or quarantine the file at all, however, I felt a little uneasy not knowing what
this may be (the name FAUXVIRUS makes it seem misleading...). Naturally, I googled the name of this
file and it seems that there is not much information on it, the most informative link that I found was this:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197064.
And it seems that others have had the same problem, with no resolution. I also learned that this file may be
a rootkit.

So far, I have scanned my computer using Spybot - Search & Destroy, Windows Defender and
Blacklight Rootkit Eliminator, and the results from all three turned up empty. I have done multiple
quickscans using Symantec and C:\FAUXVIRUS\carny_ride.exe is always the last file that is
scanned, however, these subsequent scans do not freeze up when scanning this file.
I've tried doing a full scan and nothing comes up either.

In case any of you are wondering, I am using Windows Vista Home Premium as my OS, and I'll supply any more information
if needed.

Bah, I'm losing sleep over this...hopefully this is a trivial problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users