Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Psu And Motherboard... Need Some Advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Resiam

Resiam

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hey there.

Well my old pc PSU decided to explode the other day and I thought hey why should I buy a new PSU for that when I'm only 2 parts away from finishing my new one. It's nothing special but its a big improvement

Basically I have 2 GeForce 7600 GT DDR3 256MB PCI-E cards and the ASUS bridge to link them together but I am unsure of what motherboard to buy and what PSU. I have an athlon xp 3400 939 chip or something (I'm not entirely sure, but that's what my brother said and he gave me it lol).

Could any of you guys help me out? =D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

New motherboards for the socket 939 processors are limited at best and finding one that supports SLI is even more difficult. What type of memory do you currently have? If you don't have the funds for a new processor, memory and motherboard. I would replace your old power supply and wait to upgrade until you can afford to find components that you can use your newer video cards with.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Resiam

Resiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

2GB of DDR2 RAM atm. I've probably got enough to buy a motherboard, memory and processor but I still don't want to spend to much you know?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

If only your psu died, couldn't you just use buy a new one and use it. This would also give you another part to add into your new build. You could then use it in your new build once you have all the parts.

For a new power supply, you should get a high quality 350-400 Watt. If your next build is going to have really high end graphics cards, you might want to step it up to a high quality 450-600 Watt power supply.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Resiam

Resiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

I see, yeah it is going to have a high end graphics card. Do you have any reccomendations on a PSU?

Thanks.

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

I'm a big fan of this psu, mostly because of the price because I'm a cheap person. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817148027 . I've used a couple of them, including one in my own system and it's been running fine for about eight months now.

If you want something thats a bit higher quality and 80+ certified, these antec earthwatts are pretty nice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371006 . If you can get the mail-in rebate to work, that's a very good deal. 80+ certified means it doesn't waste as much electricity. You'll save a few dollars on your electric bill.

You can just look around for some deals. I'd say anything 350 Watts or higher and make sure the amps on the +12V rail(s) are 30 or more. Read the reviews also, but I would only listen to the ones that say the person actually bought the item.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users