Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus/malware Protection?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tia08

tia08

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

For Anti-Virus I use AVG 8.0

Should I download Avira AntiVir And remove AVG 8.0?

How about for Spyware & Malware?
- I use MalwareBytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hi tia08,
Your Anti-virus is fine. It depends your own prefrence. I like AVG 8.0 because it scans for everything and then lets you remove it or not. Avira stops when it finds an infection and lets you deal with it before proceeding. Avira's scan is alot faster than AVG's. For me I still like AVG better.
Note: Please do NOT Install more than one Anti-virus programs.

How about for Spyware & Malware?
- I use MalwareBytes

Malwarebytes is a on-demand scanner which is good but it doesn't provide you with real-time protection. I suggust you install Spybot with teatimer or maybe Spywaretermaniator.
In addition I recommend Superantispyware along with Spywareblaster.
Hope that helps :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

AVG 8.0 Use to take only like 2hours for me, NOW it takes almost 5 hours to scan.
Do you know what the problem is?

Also, Spywareblaster & Superantispyware Is a program together?

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

Do you know what the problem is?

It is very likely that you have installed files, programs, etc. on the computer. More files=longer time to scan.

Also, Spywareblaster & Superantispyware Is a program together?

They are two different programs. Spywareblaster is a program and superantispyware is another.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

I'm using Avira AV, I find that its detection rates are far greater than that of AVG.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:27 PM

I'm using Avira AV, I find that its detection rates are far greater than that of AVG.

Each product has there own different detection as malware/virus. Avira dected some of the batch files that I created are malicious while they are not malicious. There was a program with the batch file that could somewhat hide so Avira detected as a trojan. AVG dected nothing. It all depends how you like it or not. Some people might like a type of program that you don't like that's normal, we are all different. As long as you have a Anti-virus program you are good. Read some of the pinned topics in this forum for some tips on safe surfing.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, I personally prefer AVG free. Personally, it's a step up from Norton antivirus :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

While I agree that it is all down to user preference. I would prefer an AV that alerts me to too much as opposed to too little. I can then see what the problem is and take the appropriate action.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:33 PM

While I agree that it is all down to user preference. I would prefer an AV that alerts me to too much as opposed to too little. I can then see what the problem is and take the appropriate action

But then, what's the point of all this HJT training? :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

But then, what's the point of all this HJT training? :thumbsup:

We all need a little backup every now and then :flowers:
Regards,

Alan.

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

But then, what's the point of all this HJT training?

Even with many layers of protection you still can get infected easily, even with great scanners you still can get infected.
That is why we use HJT to help us anaylze the infection. Mant scanners cannot remove the infection. Sometimes we need more tools that could help us. Those tools are specfically used to deal with that infection, which is more efficent than using an Anti-Virus scanners. Note that Hijackthis is also a spyware removal tool, Hijackthis cannot remove all the infections, therefore; we need other tools to help us.

#12 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

Lolz extremeboy! That was a joke :thumbsup:

unite_blue.png

#13 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:55 PM

I know. LOL but wanted tia08 to know incase he wants to join too...

#14 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:00 AM

I know. LOL but wanted tia08 to know incase he wants to join too...

Hi i'm a girl btw. lol

& Well someone recommened Anti-Antivir.
I want something more better then AVG 8. :thumbsup:

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:27 AM

You could have a look at an independent testing site like http://www.av-comparatives.org/ there is only a couple of percent difference between Avira and AVG.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users