Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Aec Dialer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jim4413

jim4413

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

I got a message last night (via Norton, ) to say that it had detected a Trojan AEC Dialer and could not remove it. I did a scan with Spybot, Ad-Aware and a then full scan with Norton itself. All three said there were no problems. Out of interest I downloaded a trial version of Xoftspy SE which tells me there is this, that and the next thing including a Trojan but that I now need to register the software and pay for it, in order remove the beasties. The computer is ticking over nicely and showing no ill effects. I was advised to download Superantispyware and use that to deal with the problem. I downloaded Superantispyware and a scan detected some Tracking Cookies and a few Hotbar/Popup things which I then removed. It did not pick up on the Trojan however. When I ran the scan on XoftspySE trial version again, it says it detected Dialer AEC Trojan x 10, Zango Toolbar X 4 and Hotbar X 9. What I don't follow is why Norton detected it, warned me but did not pick it up again when I did a scan Can anyone advise, please? I am using Windows XP Home Version.

Edited by jim4413, 06 July 2008 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

Hello jim4413,

I would advise that you followed the steps on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/ to make sure your system is clean.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users