Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My New Laptop Seems Extremely Slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zhengn

zhengn

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hey all.
I recently bought a new laptop with Vista basic, but it is extremely slow. My previous one (which I have had for five years) is much faster.
It is a Compaq Presario with Intel Celeron @ 1.56Ghz, about 30gb of 65gb free space, and 512mb ram.
Is there any way I can make it faster?
Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

Install more RAM would be your best bet.

You need at least 1GB nowadays. Also your processor is quite slow compared to machines nowadays.

Hope this helps,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

hi,,, vista is a very greedy os as regards RAM,,,, the accepted sweet spot is 2gb for vista,,,, google the motherboard and see if you can upgrade to 2gb.
you can also close down services that you dont use ,,, look on this site to see what you can close with out any problems,,,
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
this link takes you to vista service pack 1 configurations,,,,, keep a note of the one's you change, just incase you have to change one back.
also close down most of your start up programs, as there not needed,,, all i have on start up is my security,,,
type in the start menu search box,,,, msconfig,,,,, then click on msconfig.exe,,,, then click on start and uncheck the programs you dont need starting up when you switch the pc on.
but as i say the biggest improvement will come by a ram upgrade,,,,,,,,,, good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 06 July 2008 - 01:41 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users