Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Some Of My Programmes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tallorders

tallorders

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:48 AM

There was a brief gap between the expiry of my Kapersky antivirus software and the installation of a new copy - Husbands fault.
I performed a scan recently with spybot and it threw up a message -There was a problem, something on the lines of programme files...../trojan. I know this to be a virus. I am also scanning with kapersky, will it clear out the probem but not fix it?
I cant get into some of my programmes. If I click on the icons on the desktop they do not open, neither can I get in through the startmenu or other places. These are Adobe photoshop, Image ready, Paint and I tunes. Microsoft office seems o.k. The computer is also running too slowly. I was asked to add Adobe updates and my trouble seems to stem from that time, could my use be blocked? The registered user is my son rather than myself. What shoul I do. Should I copy my documents and crash the system and reload everything back or can I get round this problem, I am a novice user. I am desperate not to lose my work, how can i cleanse everything and be able to get into my programmes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

You can go on over to the Am I Infected forum for some advice on removing the infections: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Or you can backup (copy) your documents and reformat the system.
The choice is based upon several factors:
- time involved in removing the infection
- time involved in backing up your data
- time involved in formatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows (with all drivers, programs, etc)
- the type of restore media that you have (PC Manufacturer disks/partitions usually are easier than a plain Windows XP CD)
- the intangible benefit of a new install vs the old one (the new one is generally "peppier").

Backing up your data/files/documents is a good idea even if you don't have a problem. There's no telling when a problem may prevent you from being able to access them. As a first step, I'd suggest investing in an external hard drive to copy your stuff to. Most of the saveable stuff is in the My Documents or Shared Documents folders on your computer (My Documents is different for each user, so check them all). Some other things to consider are things that save their information outside the My Documents folder. IME the most common of these are tax/accounting programs and email clients. But, in short, if there's anything that you can't survive without - ensure that you locate the backup and copy it to your external hard drive BEFORE reformatting.

Edited by usasma, 06 July 2008 - 06:26 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users