Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Hangups (freezing) Of Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VirusHeatEvil

VirusHeatEvil

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:26 AM

Hello All

I am running XP Pro on a DELL Inspirion Desktop. I am having 'freezes' occur daily. The freeze will occur no matter what programs are running (it has happened in online poker, or just surfing the net) and I have not changed any programs or added any new ones for some time.

I have used the internet connection with my laptp so it's not that.

After a freeze occurs sometimes you can reboot the PC and it will occur again almost immediately upon logging on, sometimes it will take a few minutes of internet time.

Sometimes the PC will re-boot incredibly slowly or not at all.

I thought about trying that Windows recovery tool from here (with chkdsk) but I thought I would ask for advice first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:45 AM

One of the things that can cause this is overheating. Open your case and see if there is an accumulation of dust inside, especially around the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU. If there is you will need to blow it out with a can of inert air, you can find this at stores like Staples or Radio Shack. Be sure that you clean inside the heat sink fins, accumulations of dust will decrease the ability of the heat sink to work. Check see that your fans are all working, if you have a dedicated graphic card with a heat sink and fan, make sure that it is clean as well. Another area to check is the vent in the front of the case where air is drawn inside the case. You may need to remove the front cover to access the perforated portion of the case that the air flows through.

Before you put your hands inside the case please read the following information.

Caution: There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any charges your body may have stored before touching any of the components inside. As a safety precaution you should unplug the computer to avoid electrical shock.

Edited by dc3, 06 July 2008 - 01:00 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 VirusHeatEvil

VirusHeatEvil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:15 AM

Thanks

I did half suspect that may be the case......... as the firt time it happened the PC had been on for some time. Will do what you suggested and let you know.

#4 VirusHeatEvil

VirusHeatEvil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:03 AM

While I have not yet done what you suggested, I am not convinced this is the problem anymore.

The lock-ups are still occuring. More than one has ocured within 10 minutes of starting the PC. Once last week it locked up and I hard-booted it, it locked up on the reboot but I left it for like 15 minutes or so being stuck and then it just went on it's way and booted up fine.

They almost always (but not always) occur when downloading a larger than usual amount. For example, I am OK typing this, but as soon as I got to YouTube or into SecondLife I am pretty sure it will lock up again.

I do have a lot of 'conflicting' anti-spyware on here (Spybot, adaware, superantispyware, AVG Free, PC Doctor basic) but that has all been running fine in harmony for around three to four months before this problem began.

Any other ideas???

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:53 AM

If you have more than one anti-virus running, this can cause the problems that you describe.
Generally multiple anti-spyware applications won't cause this issue.
Also, multiple firewalls running at the same time could (conceivably) cause this sort of error also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users