Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Meltdown

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 waijay

waijay

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

alright to start off, my desktop have been having problems trying to play games like tf2 and css with a higher resolution...I used to play these games without any problem, like excellent graphic and real smooth graphic............but now that i got a new lcd 24" monitor...........i have been encountering problems with games....i tried starting tf2 but once i was able to get into the game, this message pops up saying your graphic hardware must support at least pixel shader version 1.1 to run this game!............what does that mean? and how do i fix it?

A bit of my desktop info.........
AMD 64 BIT Athlon 3200+ CPU
ASUS A8V MAINBOARD
OCZ 1G DUAL CHANNEL DDR 400
SB AUDIGY2 OEM SOUND CARD
ASUS V9999GT 128MB Video CArd
ANTEC PLUS 1080 AMG
160G 7200RPM HDD

well thats the whole background of my desktop, I got it like 4 or 5 years ago and i know its a bit outdated.............just a heads up if i want to get some better upgrades for upcoming games like Diablo 3 or SC2............what should i upgrade based on this list of components of my desktop? I am fine with the sound card and the hard drive...........but what about my mother board and my video card, if i were to get a new video card, should i also change my mother board aswell ??
Please help me out, lol I am sorry to say it but i have no clue what i am doing when getting computer parts, all i know is how to play games.......so don't count me as a noob! Thanks in advance !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:40 AM

The problem here is that your computer is a little bit old, and this is going to make upgrading difficult. Your motherboard doesn't have PCI-E x16 2.0 which means that you can't use the latest graphics cards. You motherboard is a socket 939 which means that there is a very slim selections of upgrades, and I only saw a few, and only one had PCI-E x16, no PCI-E x16 2.0. And if you do upgrade the motherboard and graphics card you will need to upgrade your power supply so that it will have the proper 24 pin connector for the motherboard, and the connector for the CPU, and connector/s for graphics card that require them.

My suggestion would be to not invest anymore money in the old computer, and look toward building a new one which will not only give you the choices of the newer cards, but will have a much faster processor and RAM. If you plan this properly you will wind up with a computer that will be upgradeable for a couple of years. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 06 July 2008 - 04:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 waijay

waijay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

if i were to build a new one, what can i savage from this desktop into the new one? ..........cuz i wish to keep my budget as low as possible......the things i think i could keep are the antec tower case, the hard drive, the ram and mayb get a few more just to booast up the juice in the new baby.....

what do u have in mind if i were to get those 3 component u were talking about, video card, mother board, and power supply

also should i get some of those new fans in the market? i heard they're pretty good...

Edited by waijay, 06 July 2008 - 09:28 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

You should be able to reuse your case, the hdd, your optical drive/s, fdd if you have one, modem if it is dial up, and of course your sound card. I don't think that you will be able to use the same RAM, you are probably going to be looking at DDR2 at least.

If you let us know what your budget is, and what you wish to ultimately do we can help you put together a shopping list. Remember, if you wish to go with a Crossfire or SLI mode you don't have to purchase both cards initially, but now is the time to consider this as you will need to purchase a motherboard which will support these modes.

One thing that I will address right now is that you need to be aware that if you take your old hdd with Windows installed on it and connect it to this new motherboard without doing a fresh installation you may lose the operating system. There are IDs that the registry recognizes that are related to the motherboard chipset, and when you introduce another motherboard with a different chips set the operating system gets confused and doesn't know what to do, in most cases this is fatal. I would suggest that you plan on backing up all of your important files and applications that you don't already have installation disc for onto a removable media, like CDs, DVDs, flash drives, or an external hdd, and plan on doing a fresh installation of Windows once you have the new computer ready.

Did you build the computer that you are using now?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 waijay

waijay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

I got a friend who helped me build it, but now hes in Vancouver and at the moment i can't reach him. I just reformated my desktop so there aren't much needed info in there that i need to restore. Hmmmm and as for my budget, I would say all together with the motherboard, video card, + power supply should b around 600 or less. hope that should b enough, and btw whats the differences between Crossfire or SLI mode? i know its 2 graphic card into 1 monster, but in quality which one is better?

and should i get a new cpu as well?

Edited by waijay, 06 July 2008 - 04:46 PM.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

Id say yeah go for a new CPU as well you can get a pretty decent duo core for about 50-75$

And to your question about SLI/Crossfire is that they are the same exact thing. ATi markets crossfire and nVidia markets SLIAs a matter of "Which one is better" is more of a matter of personal opinion on which you like better, ATi or nVidia.

Both ATi and nVidia have treated me good but I'm liking the 9800GX2 so I'm starting too look at that.

Oh and I think it would be less than 600 I built a computer recently and it was about 450 and it was duo-core, 2gb ram 250 gb hdd 2 optical drives card reader power supply motherboard, nothing was used all was bought (See: newegg.com). I think your over pricing your self.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 07 July 2008 - 09:32 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 waijay

waijay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

phew.......alright thanks! I will probably b getting it by the end of this summer......so i got lots of time to go shoppin for a list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users