Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Slow To Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jbone80

Jbone80

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hi guys, there's this problem I've been having lately and I can't seem to get a grasp of it. Normally my computer would start up very fast(once I logged in, it would have everything ready in under a minute) but as of recently, once I log in, all the process will run(I can open up task manager and watch everything running) but explorer will not boot for like 3 minutes. I only have 4 programs run on startup: Zonealarm, rainmeter, rocketdock, and msn and all antivirus scans show nothing, so anyone know what could be causing it to go so slow?

System specs:
Intel core 2 duo 2.0ghz
1GB ram
Nvidia8400M GT
XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

Hello Jbone80,

Download autoruns and run the program. this will tell what else is running at startup.
Can you open device manager and expand IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers Open the Primary IDE controller and select Advanced settings What is the Current Transfer mode?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

Well...MSN won't run (I think) until the Internet is established...which won't happen until ZA allows it. On my systems, my firewall holds everything up until it gives the "all clear" for Internet activity and programs.

I have no idea what Rocketdock is or why you feel it needs to run at startup...ditto for Rainmeter.

Your AV and your firewall definitely need to run at startup and I would also include programs like Spybot and SUPERAntispyware (malware defense).

Louis

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

rocketdock basically an improved quick launch bar.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

This kind of behaviour can happen if you have a mapped network drive that is not available.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users