Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Virus / Programs Will Not Open

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cohep123

cohep123

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:26 PM

I just got my laptop with Vista Home Premium reset because of a virus and I was downloading alot of programs I had before the reset. I think I may have downloaded a virus. Tons of advertisements for spyware removal and virus protection pop up and many programs will not open including: Firefox, Internet explorer(just started not working), Computer, User, and more. A program called WinVirusProtect or WinSpyWare or something like that keeps poping up and i never installed it. Sidebar wont work and tons of programs just stop working ("insert program here" has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution pops up alot). When IE 7 worked a toolbar called Internet Security 7.1 appeared when i opened IE one time and i couldnt uninstall it. It has made my computer completely ususable. I have Norton Internet but when i scan it gets stuck after about a minute.

thanks in advance

Edited by rigel, 05 July 2008 - 10:38 PM.
Mod edit ~ Moved to a more appropriate forum. Vista => AII

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

I just got my laptop with Vista Home Premium reset because of a virus and I was downloading alot of programs I had before the reset. I think I may have downloaded a virus. Tons of advertisements for spyware removal and virus protection pop up and many programs will not open including: Firefox, Internet explorer(just started not working), Computer, User, and more. A program called WinVirusProtect or WinSpyWare or something like that keeps poping up and i never installed it. Sidebar wont work and tons of programs just stop working ("insert program here" has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution pops up alot). When IE 7 worked a toolbar called Internet Security 7.1 appeared when i opened IE one time and i couldnt uninstall it. It has made my computer completely ususable. I have Norton Internet but when i scan it gets stuck after about a minute.

thanks in advance

Hi cohep123,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting.

The infections on your system may have compromised your installation of Norton Internet Security which is causing your scans to freeze. Most likely LiveUpdate has not run recently and your program and definition files are out of date. Please follow the instructions in the following document to resolve this problem.

What to do if you suspect that you have a threat when using a Norton 2008 product
Please let me know if these instructions resolve the issue you are having with completing a scan. After you complete the steps in the document, it is recommended that you run a Full System Scan while booted into Windows Safe Mode.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#3 cohep123

cohep123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

thank you the live update did not work because it said it couldnt connect to the internet (i could though). The scan isnt pausing though. Will this fix all those problems or just the one with norton?

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

thank you the live update did not work because it said it couldnt connect to the internet (i could though). The scan isnt pausing though. Will this fix all those problems or just the one with norton?

Hi cohep123,

It looks as though your computer has multiple infections that need to be addressed. Since the LiveUpdate feature of Norton Internet Security is having issues, please run the Symantec Online Security scanner to check for infections. (NOTE: User Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher only to access the scanner)

Symantec Online Security scanner

Once you have completed the Symantec Security Scan, please visit the following page to resolve the problem you are having with LiveUpdate:

Help with running LiveUpdate

Once LiveUpdate is working again for you and you have the latest updates applied, please complete a "Full System Scan" with Norton Internet Security 2008 to further check for and remove any infections.

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users