Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want My Home Folder Off Of Another Harddrive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 american.swan

american.swan

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

I took my Ubuntu installed hard drive out of it's desktop, don't ask why. I took the hard drive to work.

Problem : Ubuntu 8.04 desktop at work can't access anything on this Ubuntu 7.10 hard drive. In fact it can't even read the partitions correctly, Logical partition management problem maybe, I haven't a clue.

The hard drive's home folder is storing some images and files I don't want to loose. Some time in the future I'd like to be able to access them. How would I go about doing that? Do I have to put it back into the original desktop? And why can't my Ubuntu even see the partitions correctly on the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

As a first thought it could be that version 7 is formatted ext2 and
your version 8 is ext3. Also you may not be running automount.
Hard to say with the little info you gave.

What I would do:
Put the drive back in the desktop system. Boot from a LiveCD and copy all
the important stuff to a flash drive.

If you need to use the 'work' system due to some hardware problem
double check the jumper settings on both drives. Boot up and as 'root'
type: fdisk -l (the letter L, lower case)
That should give you the info you need to 'mount' the second drive and
copy your files.

Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:16 AM

Well, you write that "In fact it can't even read the partitions correctly..." which tells me that at least your BIOS sees the drive. I might run e2fsck on the unmounted hard drive's partitions that you want that ~/ data from. Just to check for anything weird.

The only difference between ext2 and 3 is journalling, and maybe some driver enhancements. ext3 is completely compatible with ext2. You can even mount ext3 as ext2. Same file system structure on the drive. Ya know....Anyway, raw gave you a quick fix, and (s)he's got a point about little information provided.

I routinely add hdd's to my working Debian box upstairs (Ubuntu is based upon Debian): NTFS, fat16, fat32, ext2, ext3 -- reading them is never an issue. I do this to save or backup data for neighbors, customers. It should be a no-brainer -- let us know.

#4 american.swan

american.swan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:49 AM

I am not at work, but I'll see if I can explain a bit better.

The hard drive from home has Ubuntu 7 on it and I honestly don't remember which filesystem.

At work, the above hard drive is installed as a "slave" on the jumpers. Ubuntu 8 recongnizes the drive and allows me to mount like 200mb of it...which to me seems like the old swap partition or something or some old fat32 partition, I don't know why Ubuntu 8 only sees 200mb or less "automatically". The rest of the dive is not "found" or not "automatically" recognized.

This could be because Ubuntu 8 needs some additional steps to see the drives other partitions or because of filesystem issues.

When I run for example gpart or some similar GUI, it doesn't even see the 200mb's that Ubuntu 8 automaticallly mounts. Gpart claims the drive is empty....it's all grayed out. Almost like gpart can't find any data on the drive at all.

When I get to work next monday I'll see if I have a second I'll try what has already been posted.

thanks

#5 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:22 AM

DId you forget that you encrypted the drive -- or you put an encrypted container within an encrypted partition? Just hazarding a guess here. Is your Ubuntu 7 slave drive connected to the slave position on your atapi cable?

In your BIOS have you looked for new partitions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users