Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are Cpu Coolers Supposed To Be Running All The Time?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kanadon

Kanadon

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

New computer. I looked several times through the side holes, while the computer was on, but have yet to see the fan spin. Is this a problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Yes, it is a problem. I'm guessing this fan is directly attached to your processing unit. Without it, your processor would overheat. Check the cables and make sure that the fan is plugged into the motherboard for power.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 Kanadon

Kanadon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

What is a good program to measure the temperature of the CPU? I just turned this computer on a couple of hours ago, so I was thinking maybe it hasn't heated enough for the cooler to kick in.

The problem is I can't take off the casing because of the warranty sticker, so I guess I will have to give it in for repair.

Edited by Kanadon, 05 July 2008 - 06:33 PM.

#4 Kanadon

Kanadon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

Haha, never mind. The little bleepster was spinning so fast I couldn't see it in the semi-lit room. All is good.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

Some fans might have a speed control, where they speed up when the heat increases but it's never totally off. Do Not Turn It On. Take it back
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

What is a good program to measure the temperature of the CPU?

I use SpeedFan. Other alternatives include Hmonitor (Hardware Sensors Monitor), although Hmonitor is shareware. You could also try RMclock (although not recommended)

Edited by aommaster, 05 July 2008 - 06:59 PM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

Glad all is working ok. AMD has a feature called cool and Quiet. The feature adjust the speed of the processor and the fan according to the needs of the user. It saves on power and makes the computer allot quieter when not in heavy use. There are also electronic fan controllers which controll the speed of the fan in relation to the temperature of the processor, as mentioned above by Mark.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users