Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart Loop At Xp Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bartikky

Bartikky

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

Hey everybody, thanks for reading this post.

This started yesterday, I got home and switched on my computer selecting XP at dual boot options. The computer started up as usual but once it had logged in, it froze after loading one item in the system tray, it loaded only the little symbol showing that a device is added (it must have been my USB Wireless).

I did a forced shut down via the Power ON button. When I power on and select XP from dual boot menu, it brings up the 'Windows did not shut down correctly' options and I've tried safe mode, safe mode with network, safe mode with command prompt and last good known configuration but all react the same way as starting windows normally. Everytime I start now, it freezes a few moments after the splash screen load bar begins animating, it then restarts. I'm not sure if this extra piece of information helps but everytime it restarts after the 'crash' the computer does not beep. But when I shutdown correctly from Ubuntu Linux and then Power on the computer again it beeps, even when I restart through Linux Ubuntu it beeps.

Thanks in advance, Bartikky. :thumbsup:
I would like to add I did browse through other people's problems to see if any are similar to mine, but no luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

If you have an XP CD...you might try running the fixmbr command.

Hard shutdowns...can damage system (and other) files.

IMO, the original hesitation might indicate that the MBR is damaged or out of sorts.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2008 - 04:23 PM.

#3 Bartikky

Bartikky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Excuse my ignorance but how do I run the fixmbr command if I can't get onto command prompt in Windows?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

The fixmbr command is run from the Recovery Console of the XP CD...not from the command prompt of XP.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsf/p/fixmbr.htm

My intent was to ask if you had an XP CD...but I see I omitted "CD" in my haste.

Louis

#5 Bartikky

Bartikky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

Unfortunately I do not have such a disk, I bought this computer with XP installed. Is there a way I could install or copy whatever it is I need to a memory stick and use that? Or do you know how to burn a CD through Linux? I do not have a diskette drive on this computer.

Edited by Bartikky, 05 July 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:19 PM

There are no miracle solutions...but there are ways around certain obstacles which present themselves.

Install Recovery Console without an XP CD - http://www.tweakxp.com/article36941.aspx

http://tips.vlaurie.com/2006/05/23/recover...out-an-xp-disk/

And...of course...you could always borrow someone's XP CD, as long as it matches your version...and use the RC commands.

Ditto for an optical drive.

Louis

#7 Bartikky

Bartikky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:03 AM

Well after a long search I finally found the XP Disc and started using the recovery console, I entered in the fixmbr command and it came up with a caution message, I cannot remember all what it said but it went along the lines of warning that the drive/files may become inaccessible and asking I want to continue with creating a new MBR file.

Is there really a risk of my files and important documentation being lost or inaccessible? Should I back-up the drive before I proceed? Shall I just proceed? I'm sure there will be a way to back-up the drive and files, I will add this, my hard drive has been partitioned so that I have Linux Ubuntu and Windows XP on dual boot menu.

EDIT: Sorry about the initial mix up with whether I had an XP CD or not, my dad told me he had set it up for me, here was me assuming my dad bought the computer with it XP already installed.

Edited by Bartikky, 06 July 2008 - 10:07 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:44 PM

No problem with the XP CD thing :thumbsup:.

Always...always...there is a chance that anything can go wrong with a computer whereby the user is denied access to data/program files and the O/S. Never assume otherwise...that's the basic premise behind users doing system backups on a regular basis. Hardware can go bad anytime...files can become corrupted anytime...the file system can become corrupt anytime...none of these things are predictable and they all happen routinely.

The fixmbr statement is routine...XP is full of routine warnings for users who like to do things which might have unexpected adverse effects :flowers:. I've used this command many times and never had an untoward situation result from using it...that doesn't mean that my experiences will be in that same mode the next time or that someone else's won't be difficult. With computers, I always assume the worst, even though I try all the strategies that I know/think will help me avoid such.

I always have a system backup (recent) as a disk image that I can use if things go wrong. I also have duplicates of all programs which I have installed on any system...so I don't sweat it when things go awry. I also don't mind doing a clean install if the situation warrants such.

Looking back...I now suggest that you run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console first. When that completes, then run the fixmbr command. Chkdsk /r will do what it can to alleviate potential file/hard drive problems, while fixmbr will try to correct any MBR problems that interfere with a good boot.

Louis

#9 Bartikky

Bartikky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Is there a way I can back-up the Window's partition in Recovery Console to CD/DVDs before I proceed?
Shall I ask this question in a seperate area or are you able to help? :thumbsup:
Another question I might need to ask in a different area is if I can make a back-up of Window's partition through Ubuntu Linux 7.10 onto CD/DVDs?

EDIT: Don't worry I've sorted the problem out, I found a program on Ubuntu that might be able to burn CDs/DVDs for me, I'm going to do a test burn tonight, and tomorrow back-up everything important through Ubuntu. Unfortunately my Dad will be using this laptop for work tomorrow, so there's no other way I can gain access to the internet tomorrow. Will post the results hopefully tomorrow afternoon or the following day.

Edited by Bartikky, 06 July 2008 - 03:19 PM.

#10 Bartikky

Bartikky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

Well I've ended up with deleting all partitions created and reinstalling XP. That has sorted my problem out but I'm having a few hardware difficulties at the moment, hopefully I do not get this restart loop again. Thanks for your help, problem solved.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

Suggestion...start doing periodic backups, once you have all drivers installed and XP properly updated.

You never know when things will go wrong.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users