Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijack Logs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

I'm not posting a log, just a question why are there so many. Are these computers getting infected before or after they have protection installed ? The B/C people who work in this section sure got there hands full with all those logs.

Edited by Layback Bear, 05 July 2008 - 12:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

A great number of people are first time computer owners who are not really prolific on the ways of the internet and safe computer practices until it's too late
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:23 PM

"The B/C people who work in this section sure got there hands full with all those logs. "

To put it mildly.

Many users either do not have adequate and layered protection, or do not keep it updated, or elect to download a file without checking it out first. Others are not cautious about what sites they visit and are over trustful, or regularly use P2P file sharing.

Cheers,
JOhn
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

Also, I might just add that the HJT Team are volunteers - they spend their own time helping out everyday people who are not as savy in keeping their computer clean :thumbsup:

#5 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

I wonder how many people there are out there who have computers and dont know what a firewall, or anti virus is...... My parents didnt.. Until I told them.............................................................

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

Another part of the problem is that certain people just will not learn and change their behaviour. Despite warnings from this site(and getting help from its helpers) some people continue to use p2p and warez.

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

I'd imagine some people dont know what malware is, or the fact that their computer is infected, untill the pc starts to play up, and they google the symptoms.. ??

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

There is also the fact that malware is becoming more and more advanced and can infect systems using traditional protection methods. For example tools that rely on lists of known malware will have trouble finding malware that is not on that list unless heuristic search methods are used.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

Many people I know simply want to use the computer to do their business or have fun. They have no idea about computer security or the need for it. If it hadn't been for my brother, I would have had no clue about how to secure my computer or even the need to do so before hooking it up. The computer manual certainly did not mention it, nor did any of my computer classes. Given today's cyber-environment, simply hooking up to the internet without protection can result in computer infections within a half-hour or less. My brother is adamant about NOT using wireless internet. He says that while it make hooking up to the internet convenient, it makes it really easy for the "big, bad wolves" to compromise one's computer, so I refuse to use a wireless connection.

Learning how to keep a computer secure and infection free and maintaining that security takes, skill, research, all too often the need to learn computerese in order to understand what the resources are saying, and an enormous amount of time. It also requires a certain level of computer knowledge which many people feel is quite advanced. The time and necessary skills needed to keep a computer secure are among the reasons why I didn't even have a computer of my own until the spring of 2004. There are folks who think I'm very knowledgeable about computers, but I'm not. Most of what I know about computer security I've learned on this site.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hello, OB.

Yes, the "Big Bad Wolves" do like bunnies. As well as orange blossoms. :thumbsup:

There are folks who think I'm very knowledgeable about computers, but I'm not. Most of what I know about computer security I've learned on this site.

Just because you learned it here, doesn't mean you haven't learned it. You do a great job helping others out :flowers:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

For the most part it is just lack of knowledge.

Myth #1
"I just bought a new PC and it has Norton Security Suite so I must
be protected"
Truth: I have files that will crash Norton if you try to scan them, but they are
not malicious and won't harm your PC.

Myth #2
"I never visit evil websites"
Truth: Websites generate revenue from ads which come from other sites. A compromised
server can deliver bad things to your PC without you ever going there. Especially if you use
Internet Explorer.

Myth #3
"I only download files from my friends/people I know"
How can you be sure that file is safe? MP3's, JPEG's, PDF's can all be trojaned.

People simply don't know. When I sat down at a PC 10 years ago with Windows 98 and
AOL I had no idea what was out there. It wasn't until a few password stealers and one very
nasty Deltree program that I looked into securing my computer. I learned quickly not to click
on the latest greatest screensaver, mouse cursor changer, disk cleaner, super secret program of the day.

This is a great article for new PC users:
Infected in Twenty Minutes

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users