Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Not Start Successfully., Every time i boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparko33

sparko33

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi all.
I'll be as concise as i can with this.
XP SP3 32bit.
2Gb RAM
AMD Duo 5000.
Soundblaster Audio
Onboard Graphics.

For no apparent reason at all, i am confronted with the windows startup option screen every time i boot up.
This started about 2 weeks ago and if i hit enter or let the timer expire windows boots normally.
Starting from last good config also boots normally.
All virus/malware scans (safe mode) are clean.
All hardware in device manager is ok except for Realtek HD audio in Sounds (X) on board audio, disabled over two months ago for Soundblaster card.
Double checked Soundblaster installation. Works fine.
No other major hard/software changes.

Has my XP just lost the plot, or is there a way to bypass/reduce the timer/reg edit the unsuccessful screen as it's really starting to become very very annoying.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly welcome.

Thankyou.
Colin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

Hello sparko33,

If you want to change the time taken to display the recovery options you will need to right click in My Computer and select properties select the advanced tab click settings in the startup and recovery section. on the new window change the values to something more suitable and apply.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

Bumped this because of a bad link when I tried to merge 2 other posts.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sparko33

sparko33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for replying nigglesnush85.

I tried you're suggestion to no avail as it only applies to the multiple os boot screen.
Maybe i should have been a bit more clear in my post.
The screen i am getting is the " windows did not start successfully " one, offering the options to start in safe/last known good config/normal etc.
I either hit enter to continue or let the 30sec countdown expire to continue and everything then boots normally.

Thanks,
Colin.

#5 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

well, can windows start normally? because otherwise windows is right, and it did not start normally. Something to try: check disk. something could just be really mad, and need to be checked. Maybe even the one that needs a reboot.
Posted Image

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

I'm sorry for the late reply, I was not notified that you replied.

Have you made any system changes to the PC prior to receiving this message?
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users