Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Install Xp Sp3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:09 AM

i have an XP laptop that is doing the following:

freezing or hanging up
won't fully clean up with the programs i have (i don't know the specific things remaining as they are not identified in the programs)
programs not dl'ing or installing properly
programs not working properly
other things are happening of a less specific nature that i can see bc i use this machine but are hard to put into more specific words

i have already been to the malware forum and received help there clearing out a bunch of malware but they said to post here -- they also said i do have more problems but didn't feel qualified to help fix them and said to post here

they also suggested i run eventvwr.msc

Look in SYSTEM and APPLICATIONS for anything in the last day.
Double click on anything you see with a red X, press the Copy button, and then you can paste the info into your thread.

however i was unable to copy and paste those logs

therefore i need help to decipher what may be the issues on the laptop and correct them --- i am sorry i am vague but this part of software correction is new to me -- so even basics i am not so sure about --thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:13 AM

I'd try running chkdsk /r on the boot drive.

Possibly followed by a defrag of the boot drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2008 - 11:14 AM.

#3 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

i have an XP desktop that was full of malware which i was able to clean out going to the malware forum --however i am still unable to dl the XP SP3 update on that computer -- that forum suggested i come here to get further assistance as they did not feel comfortable offering further advice

the problem arises when its finishing the installation while "running processes after installation"
i am getting the following error messages:

rundll32.exe--application error
the instruction at "0x009dfc27" referenced memory at "0xe7e36568." The memory could not be "read."

application error
exception EAccessViolation in module Sguard.dll at 0000FC27. Access violation at address 0088FC27 in module Sguard.dll. Read of address E7E36568.

winword.exe-- application error
instruction at "0x00883c02" referenced memory at "0x00abce68." The memory could not be read.

runtime error 216 at 009D3C02

can you please help getting this important update to properly dl and install
thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

One of the things that can cause these issues is over heating, and is one of the simplest to fix. I will suggest that you open your case to look for dust accumulated, especially around the heat sink and fan mounted on the CPU. If there is you can purchase a can of inert air at most stores like Staple, or even in some hardware stores. Use this to clean out the case and any heat sinks. If you place a pencil inside of the fan it will stop it form spinning while you blow it out. Before you do this though, please read the warning below.

Caution: There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any charges your body may have stored before touching any of the components inside. As a safety precaution you should unplug the computer to avoid electrical shock.

Also look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 05 July 2008 - 11:50 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

2 separate topics were merged to create this one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:37 PM

by writing to both microsoft and to the company that makes authentium i was able to dl sp3 and delete fully the other --- i am still interested in how to use the event viewer to find other problems or conflicts on my computers -- how do i do that (including how might i copy the correct message here--it doesn't seem to just copy and paste)
thanks for any further help i can receive

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:56 AM

Hi PanthersClaws4

Here's a couple of tips to make reaching the Event Viewer in Administrative Tools easier to reach

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/142775/make-your-start-menu-more-useful/

and this is a great free program for grabbing screenshots of the whole (or part of) your screen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=784146

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

ty for this info -- the first link is of course useful to access different programs and the second link is more useful in XP -- i n vista i merely use the snipping tool and that is that

however i am interested in how to use actually use event viewer or any other program to diagnose system problems---software issues and hardware failure -- and how to then get(copy the info) and post that info for use in one of these forums --- thanks

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Using Event Viewer is helpful, but it has to be done in conjunction with the physical symptoms that the system is displaying. Many computers will throw errors into Event Viewer, but there's no problem with PC operations. It's also helpful to study the other entries in order to see if there's a pattern to the events.

For example, a lot of HP computers will throw errors about the parallel port - even when one isn't installed on the system. So, this is a benign error (and isn't easily fixable) and is usually left alone.

Other errors reflect timeouts that we don't see. For example, if you're reading a webpage and your internet connection disconnects - you won't notice it until you try to go to another page. But Event Viewer will notice it and will log it - even if it reconnects on the next try.

Windows will try several times to remedy an error in most cases - so you may see an error, and in the next few entries will be an Information item that the program is running successfully.

Also, if you start in Safe Mode you'll generate errors - they'll be related to the services that were supposed to start, but didn't because of the Safe Mode boot.

For way more information than you'll ever need about Event Viewer, try the results of this Google search: http://www.google.com/search?q=Event+Viewer

Edited by usasma, 13 July 2008 - 11:48 AM.
Google link had a bunch of referral trash in it - deleted it

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 oelchen

oelchen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hello PanthersClaws4,

your post has been a while, but after all I am interested in how you solved installation problems wih XP SP3. I have a very similar problem on one of our X40 ThinkPads.

Thanks a lot!

oelchen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users