Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poorplmbr

poorplmbr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

How can I tell if Windows XP Recovery Console is already installed on my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richard Fu

Richard Fu

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

Restart your computer and if you see Microsoft Recovery Console in the boot menu, it's installed.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:09 PM

It doesn't have to be installed on your computer...in fact, I believe it's better to not have it installed but...to have it available on CD.

If it's installed and the system has serious problems booting...you may not be able to access the RC (since the system won't boot to the point of access)...while the CD option is always available, regardless of boot problems (thus ensuring user access to the RC). Just my opinion :thumbsup:.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

As for checking to see if it's installed...my understanding is that it should be reflected as one of the options presented when the system fails to start properly, along with the other typical alternatives.

Louis

#4 bevforxp08

bevforxp08

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

I have recovery console enabled on my computer but as most of you know it is not always reliable...I had an old CD of
Norton SystemWorks and I had used it to fix some Windows problems and when I browsed the CD I noticed it had
"Go BacK" on it and I installed it and I have had better luck with it. So if one doesn't work I use the other. I was also
having some problems with burning CD's for some reason and installed CD Burner XP Pro and it's working like a charm. One thing about XP is that nothing is for certain!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

FWIW: Having Go Back installed...along with System Restore...has presented some problems for some XP users.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=S...amp;btnG=Search

I don't use either (I do periodic system backups with Powerquest Drive Image, which results in disk images), but you may want to reevaluate your decision to use Go Back.

As for your comment about the RC not being reliable...I haven't found anything to ever make me think that over the years that I've been using XP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2008 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users