Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Antivirus 2008 Won't Leave Me Alone!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LA22

LA22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

I suspect this Vista Antivirus 2008 Warning to be a nasty virus pretending to be something good. I have Windows XP Pro 2002 and can't seem to delete this nasty thing from the control panel (where it seems to reside). This irritating warning dialog box keeps coming up no matter what I try to use my computer for. (In fact, it just popped up again in the time it took me to type 1/2 of this description!!) HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 superninja

superninja

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

lets start with killing the antivirus2008 process so it will leave you the hec alone

click ctrl,alt,delete to pop up the windows task manager
once u do click on process and look for the following look under image name and look for

VistaAntivirus2008.exe
Antvrs.exe
VAV.exe
if you see these left click it to high light it then hit end process and then yes

now click start , run and in run box type the word regedit then click ok .
we are going get vista antivirus out of your registry

remove the corupt registy enteries

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\”Antivirus” = “%ProgramFiles%\Vista Antivirus 2008\Antvrs.exe”
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Antivirus
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Antivirus

now remove 200virus files and dll files the files are
wininet.dll
shlwapi.dll
Uninstall Antivirus.lnk
Vista Antivirus 2008.lnk
VistaAntivirus2008.exe
VAV.exe
Antvrs.exe

i want you to click start then on search type in each of these files above in search when one of the words comes up you right click , then click on open containing folder.now once inside that folder find that very same and when you find the file delete it !

and your ocmp should be back to normal . let me know how goes

by the way how did you get 2008antivirus in the first place any clue ?

Edited by superninja, 05 July 2008 - 12:36 PM.

#3 LA22

LA22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

Thanks superninjal, I think it worked!!! Since I had already located a few of the files and deleted them, I didn't find all of the files on your lists. However, those others I did find (thanks to your instructions) are now gone!!! So far, so good!!! BTW - I think I got this awful thing attached to an image file I downloaded. (At least that's when it all started popping up.)

Thanks so much for the help!!

#4 superninja

superninja

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

No Prob

and heres a tip after somthing has finished downloading always scan the file with your antivirus and any spyware /ad ware killer you have / i

Edited by superninja, 05 July 2008 - 02:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users