Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8.0 Won't Update At All!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

Hi Papakid

No, i don't have version 8 installed, only 7.5.
I have the installation programme on my desktop. The version is 8.0.138a133.

I have seen a thread i found via google, which states that there is an Ashampoo Firewall/version 8.0 incompatability, but also states that it still conflicts when the Firewall is off!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...17065916AA6g9vm

When i tried to update before, i got no Firewall intrusion alerts like i usualy do when something is trying to access the internet!!

I shall be at work near a printer tomorrow & will constantly check for your instructions.

Again, many thanks!

WF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 08 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

OK, so if the Ashampoo firewall still conflicts after having been "turned off", then it probably has to be uninstalled completely in order for it to not conflict with AVG 8. At this point I believe it would be best to decide which program you want to keep, Ashampoo or AVG 8, since you can't run both at the same time. You could continue to run 7.5 and your firewall and hope AVG straightens out the situation, but who know how long that will be or if it will even ever happen. My advice would be to ditch AVG and get an antivirus you can depend on. If you want, you can go back to AVG later when they have worked the bugs out.

I have run all the major free antiviruses, AVG 7.5--and now 8--Avast and Avira''s Anitvir. They all have their good points and bad, according to my tastes of course. A bit later I'll go into what I like and dislike about each. At this point you have a few courses of action to take based on your decision of what you want to do.

:trumpet: If you really want to use 8, you can try uninstalling the firewall, then reinstall 8 (after uninstalling 7.5 and see that helps. If you go this route the modified instructions would be as follows:

1. Uninstall AVG 7.5 from Add/Remove programs via Control Panel.

2. Take your computer offline. If on broadband, physically disconnect.

3. Uninstall Ashampoo firewall. Check their help file for specific instructions. Usually you will have to disable the firewall first for it to uninstall correctly, but for some it is not necessary. You should then be able to use Add/Remove or an uninstall shortcut in your start menu.

If present, also disable Spybot S&D's TeaTimer, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware's Adwatch and SpywareGuard.

4. Double-click avg_free_stf_en_8_138a1332.exe to run AVG 8's installer. Since you have already chosen not to install LinkScanner/Toolbar and email scanner, you know how to do the custom install. If you have any questions, download the User manual in PDF format--something else that is broken in 8 is that you can't see the entire help file. There are some very good instructions on installing and it can be found in the Documentation tab here: http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe#tba3

If you want to install those components later, run the installer again. That would be the answer to your question if it is better to use configuration of the program or custom install. Besides, since I didn't install these components, there is nothing in AVG 8's interface that allows me to turn them on. I do not know if there would be a configuration option to turn the email scanner and Linkscanner off if you had installed them during setup. I believe you can uninstall them again by running the setup again and that would be the better option if you had the choice.

When installation is complete, the first run wizard will pop up. As mentioned earlier, delcline the updates and registering with AVG for now

5. Turn on Windows firewall. Via Control Panel, Security Center.

Windows firewall works as well as it can no matter the state of your Windows update status--in XP the only major change to it was when SP2 is installed. I checked your last HijackThis log and see you have SP2 installed so you shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as Windows firewall. But why aren't you fully patched? Besides having an antivirus with real time protection, keeping Windows fully patched is the single most important way to secure your PC. In fact, without patches, you should have the Linkscanner installed. That is what it is designed for, detecting sites that exploit vulnerabilities in your browser, Windows and other programs that interact with the net.

8. Restart again.

8. Connect to the internet.

9. Try running updates. (Click Update now).

10. If you can update, look for another firewall. Personally, I don't recommend ZoneAlarm--too many people have problems with it--including me--it just didn't agree with my system. Probably the two best freebies out there are Online Armor and Comodo.

The other choices are as follows:

:flowers: Continue to use 7.5 and Ashampoo firewall together.

:thumbsup: Ditch AVG and go with another antivirus and keep Ashampoo.

Of course there are variations to these choices, scuh as ditching both AVG and Ashampoo, but my recommendation is the third one. With apologies to colleagues in the security community, who I respect and have learned a lot from--AVG is often recommended and highly regarded--here's why I have never really liked it and it is my least favorite of the free AV's.

*No scheduling. This has changed in 8, but previously one had no option of when to run a full scan automatically. I don't care for scanning when my computer starts--I want to get logged in and go. For reasons of my own, I require the ability to run a scan overnight. Being on dialup I also like to have control over when updates are performed. The main reason I just recently gave AVG 8 a try is because I heard it now allows scheduling of full scans. However, so far the scheduler has initiated updates and one full scan on its own. The system scan was probably explained by a certain setting, but the updates are running but not at the time I schedule them for. The one system scan that did start on time took far longer than it should have.

*Certain important features are disabled that are only available in the pro version. Well, this is standard procedure for free AV's that we have to live with, but one feature that I think everyone should have is the ability to exclude certain files and folders. Both Avast and Antivir allow exclusions which are useful for eliminating the detection of false positives. There is another more important reason some folders should be excluded that I'll get into shortly.

*An overall disdain for users of the free AVG. I think the above two comments are a part of this--of course they have a right to make money from their hard work, and to limit some features, but AVG has struck me as being particularly condescending and difficult to deal with.

*Last, but by far not the least, it is possible that that using AVG will break System Restore. Not just possible, it will happen if you have an infection backed up to a Restore Point and you allow AVG to move it to the Virus Vault. I am proof of this happening. I have a small Zoo of infective files that aren't active that I've collected during the course of doing malware removal. After running the AVG full scan, about a a half dozen were removed from The SysRestore, System Volume Information (SVI) folder. It is a little known fact that disturbing the SVI folder will break SR. All restore points are logged and if files are removed from SVI without modifying the log, it becomes inconsistent and SR won't run. The only way to fix this is to delete all your retore points by turning System Restore off.--then when it is turned back on a new restore point and correct log is created.

As another poster has mentioned, having an AV move detections automatically to the Virus Vault is not a particularly wise way to set up scanning options--but people are going to set it that way and having SR come up broken just causes confusion and more panic.

But this is the reason I want the ability to exclude files/folders from being scanned--so I can exclude SVI. This is actually the subject for a good debate that could be carried on elsewhere, such as shouldn't we know that there are infected restore points, but this is the main reason I'm switching from AVG.

Just one last comment on it, the removal of SVI files was begun by the old Ewido, which became AVG Antivirus which is now integrated into AVG 8. Ewido/AVGAS was a great program that we used on this forum to help clean up infected systems and greatly enhances AVG effectiveness, but still very few people know that it broke System Restore. Also the integration of AVG AV with the old Ewido makes AVG 8 a major revision and is why they are having to iron out so many kinks.

So if you go with another free AV, here are my own likes and dislikes.

AVAST Well, it's free, and I believe it puts more emphasis on P2P and instant messaging protection that the others don't have.

No schedulling options either, which is my main gripe against it. I haven't noticed slowdown, but have had it installed for quite some time on an old 98SE machine that is slow anyway. BTW, another strike against AVG 8 is that it will only work on Windows 2000, XP and Vista, so older OS's are left in the dust.

AntiVir: Fully able to schedule and has recently improved its detection rate, the latter of which has always been subpar for all the free AV's. The support forum is more relaxed. According to their comparison chart, it does actually scan for rootkits. Simple interface and logs are easy to get to. Has a light footprint so won't slow down your computer.

Avira allows its servers to get overburdened. During peak hours in Germany you may have updates fail and if they are set to automatic, you get no warning that they did. On my system I had some problem getting it to accept what actions to take on files, but that may be specific to my machine.

So my advice is to keep Ashampoo and ditch AVG in favor of AntiVir

I've probably missed some questions of yours again but it is getting late. Let us know what you decide.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#18 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hi Papakid
I appreciate your in depth help a lot. I haven't time at the moment, but shall do the Ashampoo firewall test soon & see if then i can update. I'm wondering if the registration key i was issued with on downloading in the 1st place will still work if i want to re-install.

I am undecided, but i think i shall go along with your advice & keep my firewall & chose another anti-virus, which is something i don't want to do either way as i'm used to what my current AVG & Firewall do & how they work!

I never have had patches or a linkscanner as someone said to me once on a forum, i can't remember which one, that if all AV, Spy/Malware progs, Firewall are up to date, it's not necessary!
I know that in the last 8 years of being online, the only issues i've had are because i've clicked on a download & being naive, but i expect i wouldn't have gotten to that page in the 1st place if i had them.

Do the other 2 AV programmes have link scanners & email scanners that are uninstallable at installation & are easy to configure??
I know they have both good & bad sides as you say, but i like to be in control of my scanning & updating & do them manually as strange as it may seem!
I have this setting in AVG now. AVG's updating isn't discreet. The Avast at my work is a home version & out of the blue, a voice is heard with a blue notification saying 'Your Avast home edition is now updated', nothing to click on etc! This may change my mind about auto updating

I will report back ASAP & many thanks again

WF

#19 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

Hi waterface,

I'm wondering if the registration key i was issued with on downloading in the 1st place will still work if i want to re-install.

I assume you are asking about Ashampoo--which raises the question--are you using the free version or Pro? As I have not ever installed Ashampoo on my system I can't really answer that with certainty but gather from the FAQ on their site that you can get a new key from them if you need it. http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/support/p...p;idstring=0050

If you use the free version do they require you to enter a key? This used to only be necessary for paid versions of software but some freeware does now do this.

I never have had patches or a linkscanner as someone said to me once on a forum, i can't remember which one, that if all AV, Spy/Malware progs, Firewall are up to date, it's not necessary!
I know that in the last 8 years of being online, the only issues i've had are because i've clicked on a download & being naive, but i expect i wouldn't have gotten to that page in the 1st place if i had them.

Well, linkscanners are a relatively new tool. I read over AVG's PDF manual today and it seems to be confined to checking search results for dangerous sites. I thought maybe AVG had acquired the Linkscanner tool seen here: http://www.explabs.com/products/lspro.asp

There may be a connection to AVG's Linkscanner, but I haven't found one yet. They essentially work the same way, by scanning sites before you go there for malicious code before your browser can load the page and blocking the bad sites. It's a good idea but one has to realize and accept that it will necessarily slow down browsing since it takes time to scan those pages. That is if you have such a program or component installed and running in the background. Keeping your system fully patched reduces the need for such a program. Even with a well secured system, tho, it can still save you from getting infected by visiting a site as there are exploits out there that there aren't patches for. So AVG is providing another layer of protection, I just personally don't have a need for it--mainly because I'm on dialup. Plus security is all a matter of risk reduction--you can't eliminate risk, just reduce it to more tolerable levels. My choice of risk reduction strategy is to keep windows patched, run a good AV and firewall and don't engage in high risk surfing and other activities like P2P and opening unexpected attachments. If I do have a desire to go to a site that might be dodgy, I can use the free online Linkscanner: http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp

Whoever told you that you don't need patches if you have other good protection has an opinion that I strongly disagree with. They are probably form the old "Windows Updates--if it ain't' broke don't fix it" school of thought. This was discussed and advocated a lot about 4/5 years ago when MS was releasing some patches that were causing problems. It still happens but not as often now. With the explosion of cybercrime and related malware nowdays you need to use all risk reduction measures available. What is the biggest risk of concerning patches? That you will have some problems with them installed that can be corrected fairly quickly or that you become infected without them and possibly have your identity stolen? I give more weight to the latter.

Five years ago a good antivirus could put out definitions for new threats in a fairly short period of time. There is too much stuff out there now and it is getting more and more sophisticated--so you need all the protection you can get.
http://www.kaspersky.com/news?id=207575629
http://www.kaspersky.com/reading_room?chapter=207716694

On the other hand, there are some people who don't even use and antivirus and don't get infected. See number 23 here: http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/06/16/t...p-super-tweaks/

To do that takes a knowledge of security that most people don't have, so I don't advocate it at all. But since I have been fortunate in that I have never had a serious infection, I sometimes wonder how much of these security programs I really need and where I can make reductions.

But the best advice I can give you is to go to Windows Update and get fully patched. If you've read up on SP3 and think you are ready, that will take care of most of it. If not, skip Sp3 and get the rest. Then go to The Secunia Online Software Inspector, let it scan your computer and follow instructions for updating other programs on your computer. http://secunia.com/software_inspector

Do the other 2 AV programmes have link scanners & email scanners that are uninstallable at installation & are easy to configure??

Neither have Linscanners. It's been a long time since I installed AVAST and I don't remember if you can choose not to install the email scanner. I kind of think you can't and will have to disable once the program is installed. I don't recall with Antivir either, will let you know when I reinstall it. While having a choice to not install an email scanning compnent is preferable, being able to disable it once installed is still good enough.

I know they have both good & bad sides as you say, but i like to be in control of my scanning & updating & do them manually as strange as it may seem!

Not strange at all, just your personal preference. To clarify about manual updates--there are two practices that could be called manual updates. What you think of as maqnual might be called non-automartic updates. Instead of the program controlling when it updates and carrying it out, you open the program and tell it to update when you are ready, correct? I think what extremeboy was referring to, and what most security pros think of as manual updates is something else altogether. It consists of Downloading the definitions file from the vendor's site, usually in zip form, and then extracting and placing those files in the proper folder.

I have this setting in AVG now. AVG's updating isn't discreet. The Avast at my work is a home version & out of the blue, a voice is heard with a blue notification saying 'Your Avast home edition is now updated', nothing to click on etc! This may change my mind about auto updating

Yeah I don't know why AVAST makes that vocal announcement--not necessary but then again I don't see any harm in it.

Good luck, and you're welcome for the help--thanks for listening to my rantings.

The thing about people

is they change

#20 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hi Papakid
Well i disabled Ashampoo & AVG 8 wouldn't update, i uninstalled it & AVG did update, so i guess i'm now stuck with the decision!
Not a hard one you may feel, but i am pretty used to AVG & it is familiar, but it still has the 'Firefox crashing' issue which i can't seem to find others having (have you heard anything about this?)! Also i hear it slows down people systems!!
I have to make a decision as in a thread here i see the date is 31 Aug that 7.5 comes to an end!!
My Ashampoo Fw is pretty straight forward to use & small in size which i like, also, if i did change firewall, i'd be confused as to which as i used ZA before & hear it isn't that good!

The linkscanner & emailscanner, as you say can't be enabled or disabled in AVG, but in Avast it maybe able to?, enable & disable, that would be helpful in my decision. Although Linkscanners make browsing slow as they chaeck all links in browser before fully loading pages.

Can Avast & Antivir both be updated manualy & set to scan manualy?, i mean manualy in a way that i decide when to click on 'update' detections.
In AVG, when the box greyed out, i updated the anti virus database! The resident shield was always ok, just the database was the 1st to go outa date & then i'd manualy update!! Thats what i like to do, the same with scans!!
I just hope these can at somepoint be disabled!

Many thanks as usual

wf

#21 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:12 PM

Hi Waterface,
I have been very busy for the last few days, I'm glad that someone was able to help you out, I probably wouldn't be able to respond in a few days.

Can Avast & Antivir both be updated manualy & set to scan manualy?,

I hope your not installing 2 anti-virus programs... Yes Avast can be set to scan manually and I'm not so sure about the update manually, I think you have to do it yourself. Avira however is different you can scan and update automatically.

i'd be confused as to which as i used ZA before & hear it isn't that good!

I used ZA for a few weeks and removed it because my dad didn't want it on his computer..........
ZA was a good firewall I say but it might be confusing and difficult for some people. Instead of ZA there are other firewalls that you can try out. Test it and see which one is best for you. There is alot of firewall free programs at
www.filehippo.com
Scrool down to firewall and click view more and there will be a list of free firewalls that you can try out.
Hope that helps and good luck :thumbsup:

Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#22 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Hi extremeboy
Thanks, i don't know wether we're getting wires crossed about manual & automatic!
In Avg i set it so i updated it when i wanted, not set it for a specific time, the same with scans!, i like to start them as opposed to set them to start themselves at certain times.

No, i'm not installing 2 AV's, just confused as to which!! I may downlaod a fiew seperately & try them out!

Just 1 question! In start>search>files & folders, i typed avg when i had no avg programmes installed & both .exe files were on a usb stick.
It found many entries that were 'prefetch' & more!
If i was to use 'Antivir' for e.g. , could i delete all AVG findings in search>files & folders, to get all AVG stuff off my pc?

Many Thanks

wf

#23 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hi I suggust uninstalling it using add/remove because that delets everything including registry keys.
Ok, I got to go run now see you tonight.
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#24 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

It found many entries that were 'prefetch' & more!
If i was to use 'Antivir' for e.g. , could i delete all AVG findings in search>files & folders, to get all AVG stuff off my pc?

Yes, of course, you can delete all stray files and folders from any program you have uninstalled. Just make sure you have uninstalled it. What you are doing is common practice for experienced users. I have to disagree with extremeboy in saying that all files and reg entries will be removed by using Add/Remove. This is the proper way to uninstall a program but very often the folder in program files is left behind as well as other strays. How much, if any, gets left behind depends a lot on the skills of the programmer, but for the most part, those files are harmless and just take up a bit of extra hard drive space. One thing I can say in AVG's favor is that 7.5 and earlier versions have been very easy to uninstall.

But many will uninstall a program and then look around for old folders, as you have done, and reg entries. That is basically what the Revo uninstaller program I mentioned earlier does. You might want to give it a try if you really want to clean up. A real advantage is that it will create a Restore Point before you uninstall any program, which most people forget to do. There are basically these steps to how it works.

1. Creates a Restore Point.
2. Runs the uninstall routine the same as if you had clicked the icon in Add/Remove.
3. Searches your computer for leftover files, folders and reg entries. It will list these for your review before you delete them.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

One word of caution. If you aren't familiar with the registry it might be better to chose not to delete leftover reg entries. A few leftover orphan reg entries will not slow down a system, despite what the reg cleaner companies want you to believe.

If you want to continue to use search and delete files manually, that's fine too. :thumbsup:

Can Avast & Antivir both be updated manualy & set to scan manualy?, i mean manually in a way that i decide when to click on 'update' detections.
In AVG, when the box greyed out, i updated the anti virus database! The resident shield was always ok, just the database was the 1st to go outa date & then i'd manually update!! Thats what i like to do, the same with scans!!

Yes, don't worry about this at all. Every scanner that I know of, whether antivirus, antispyware or whatever allows you to update and scan on demand. Most will also have an option to allow you to scan a single file or folder by right clicking on it and choosing Scan. You have a different personal preference than I do. I want a AV that I can schedule to update and scan automatically. Avast does not allow me to schedule a scan, it has to be run manually, so this is something you don't have to worry about. Both update on demand easily, Antivir a little easier than Avast. They both allow scheduled updates. I know you don't like doing those on a schedule but it is my opinion that is a better security practice. Allow your AV to automatically update at least once a day as I can't emphasize enough the importance of keeping definitions updated.. You can always check manually and update manually at any time you want.

So, as you have said, you are at the point now that there is nothing left but to try these programs out and see how you like them. My personal opinion is that Antivir is slightly better than AVAST. I know it takes less resources and so will probably not slow down your computer as much as Avast would.

If you also decide to switch firewalls, there is a complete list of both commercial and freeware here: http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-...roduct-list.php

Not a hard one you may feel, but i am pretty used to AVG & it is familiar, but it still has the 'Firefox crashing' issue which i can't seem to find others having (have you heard anything about this?)! Also i hear it slows down people systems!!

Are you using Firefox 3? No I haven't heard of Firefox crashing because of AVG 8 being installed. I would think if it was it was because of the LinkScanner being installed. BTW, I found a page that shows that the LinkScanner I linked to earlier is in fact integrated into AVG 8. http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2008...op-madness.html

Yes, I have noticed an overall slowdown with AVG 8 installed. Not reall bad but noticeable.

The thing about people

is they change

#25 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hi all
Been away a while, i know i needed it!
I agree, whenever i delete a programme via 'add/remove', it doesn't remove everything as when i go to run>search> all files & folders, i often see remnents left over.
Even if i go to programmes>the specific programme & the uninstall option, i get this too!
Using Ccleaner is often most effective in removing programmes though.

However
Will there be things in search>All files & folders, that i wouldn't want to delete once i've uninstalled AVG & want to install, Antivir for example!?
Wouldn't everything it finds about AVG be ok to delete once i have no use for it anymore?
Will search>all files & folders, find reg entries (that i'm not used to) & what do they look like in search?.
I may uninstall all & post here what search>all files & folders finds!

My thinking is going towards Antivir as i think it is smaller, more basic, easier to use & setup programme to Avast!
Thats why i chose Ashampoo firewall. I haven't managed to try them yet as i want to know what i wrote above is ok to do about removal! I kinda have this thing about wanting to get rid of a programme totaly before using another! A clutter thing i feel ever since i couldn't remove a part of programme in the past & i couldn't install another whilst it was there! Can't quite remember which one, think it was trojanhunter!! Was a right pain!!

Thanks very much

wf

#26 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

When you perform a Search of all files and folders, by clicking Start, Search, then you are searching for just that--files and folders. The registry is a collection of database files and the entries you want to get rid of are part of the contents of the database. So you aren't going to find reg entries with a Search of all files and folders. You need something that reads and edits the database, the native Windows tool of which is the Registry Editor (regedit).

For more info on the registry, see BC's Demystifying the Windows Registry or this general tutorial.

Registry Cleaners and some other programs read the registry as well. It is against BC's policy to recommend reg cleaners as they often can do more harm than good in the hands of those that don't know what they're doing, besides the fact that in most cases cleaning the registry automatically does not improve performance, despite what what marketing gurus want you to believe. CCleaners Registry/Issues function is basically a regcleaner. So if you use this, use it with extreme caution. But any reg entries it or any other reg cleaner finds that are obviously related to an uninstalled program should be safe to delete. Make sure the program makes backups and even if they do, backup your registry beforehand with erunt.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

If you are familiar with the registry editor, you can use the Find function to search for all AVG reg entries if you want. There are some registry search tools that are a bit quicker as well. But I don't recommend using regedit. The safest course of action would be as I described earlier. Use Revo. It specializes in searching for reg entries for the program you uninstall. And many times a System Restore is all that is necessary, rather than restoring a backup of the entire registry.

If you've already used CCleaners Issues to search for and clean up reg entries related to uninstalled programs, then you are going to be about as clean in that regard as you can be. If you are using the Run Uninstaller button in CCleaner's tools section, then all you are doing is running the uninstaller as if you had gone to Add/Remove programs. CCleaner just saves you the step of opening Add/Remove. If you click Remove Entry it will remove the icon from the Add/Remove list--not uninstall the program--many get confused about this.

A clutter thing i feel ever since i couldn't remove a part of programme in the past & i couldn't install another whilst it was there! Can't quite remember which one, think it was trojanhunter!! Was a right pain!!

Security tools and especially anitiviruses and firewalls are bad about this--is why I don't recomemend ZoneAlarm. So I can see why you are concerned about reg cleaning after an uninstall. Now just about every antivirus out there has a cleanup tool to be used after uninstalling so it's not necessary to root those stray entries out. However AVG is about the only one that doesn't have such a tool. But since version 7.5 uninstalled so cleanly, that isn't a problem. I don't know if version 8 needs one, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just switched back from AVG 8 to Antivir and everything is fine so far. You can search after switching to your heart's content.

Just a note on something I said I'd get back to you on. Antivir had been the only major free AV that didn't have an email scanner, and I thought for sure it had changed. It does have an email scanner now, but not for the free version, so don't worry about that. It is not even necessary to do a custom installtion unless you don't want desktop and other icons or want to install outside Program Files folder.

The thing about people

is they change

#27 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Hi & thanks again
i have antivir .exe ready to install soon & try it out!! i'm wary of the unknown, but i need to do it & am thankfull for your advice that has pointed me in th 'antivir' direction!
Now you say that the new freeware version doesn't have a email scanner, is a good thing & that it won't intervene with my mailwasher.

I do use CCleaner for Applications to clean cookies, download history, cache, internet history & nothing else! The registry stuff i beyond me & somewhere i'm not wanting to go as i have no idea!

I'l report back on Antivir & say how it goes!! I just want it to let me know if i get a virus (i.e. if i click on something i shouldn't & it can quaranteen it as AVG did & it lays in the background waiting until something suspicious arrives & i can run scans manualy & update manualy as i could in AVG).

I hope i can

Thanks again

wf

#28 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hi Waterface I'm gald that you got this all sorted out :thumbsup:

Hope everything goes fine.

#29 JimITWV

JimITWV

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:25 AM

Are you using the free version or the retail version? Also, I have ran in to problems where the AVG servers just seemed to be busy. If you keep trying sometimes you can get through for the update. As an AVG reseller I have installed both versions and done many AVG upgrades. Normally, I uninstall the 7.5 using its uninstaller instead of the add/remove programs. I choose to not keep the user settings and to keep the virus vault. I then install version 8.0. If you are still having problems with the update there could be something blocking the update in your host file. Go to the C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc path. In the etc folder you will see a host file. I would move it to the desktop so you still have the file and then reboot. You PC will create a new host file. If there is anything in the host file that is blocking the site that AVG uses to update this should remedy the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users