Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg 8.0 Won't Update At All!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 waterface

waterface

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hi
I've just downloaded the new AVG & it won't update!
I have disabled the email scanner & don't want the toolbar & i can connect to the internet, but when i try to update, i get the message
'update failed, couldn't connect to the update server' 'you may not be protected, some components report an error'
'connection parameters' ??

Help appreciated

wf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

forgot to say, whilst i was writing this with an un-updated version 8.0 135a133, my browser kept wanting to shut down & send an error report & my typing slowed down on the screen!

I thought i was under attack & vulnerable & so i uninstalled & re-installed my old 7.5!!, updated succesfully & all seems ok now, but realy would like version 8 to work!!

Is the version 8.0 135a133 ok?, i hear 1 of the older versions was faulty!

Many thanks

wf

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi Waterface again,
This promblem happened to me when I first installed AVG 8.0, I reinstalled it and got it working again. Don't uninstall your AVG 7.5 just yet unless it requires you to.
You might not be able to Uninstall AVG 8.0 from add/remove, try uninstalling it using Add/remove. I couldn't so I did the uninstallation from AVG setup.
Schat gave a great link of how to uninstall AVG which can be found here: http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?13,121635,backpage=,sv=
Download AVG 8.0 from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/
Download the latest version. Once you download the latest version follow the steps of the link that I provided above, uninstall AVG 8.0 and reinstall AVG 8.0 See if the updates work now(Hope it does) If it works then please uninstall AVG 7.5 before doing any scans because it can cause conflicts. If it didn't work please reply back of any nesscary information that can help us figure out this promblem.
Hope that works and good luck :thumbsup:

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Hi Extremeboy
I uninstalled AVG 8.0.138.a.133 that i initially downloaded from AVG as it was a newer version than the one in filehippo.
I managed to uninstall it via start>programmes>AVG 8.0 & then the Uninstall AVG option!

I didn't want to run my pc without anti-virus so i re-installed 7.5.

However, i recall when i 1st uninstalled 7.5, i didn't check the 'remove user settings' tab!!, is this the necessary issue that i didn't do that may prevent 8.0 from updating?

Another thing, my Firefox browser seems to be conflicting!, the typing drags, i hear a clicking & always Not responding & needs to close!, Send a report or not etc! I can't keep the browser open for more than 5 mins!

Also this i saw in AVG forums! I have Ashampoo Firewall

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,135918,backpage=2,sv=

I will follow the steps in your link (checking the remove user settings) tab, in the morning as it is very late here in UK. I shall report back.

Many thanks

wf

#5 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:39 AM

Items 2 & 3 in your link! i don't understand!

Do i install 8.0 whilst i have 7.5 installed & then uninstall 8 & 7.5 if it asks & then re-install 8.0, remembering to check the 'remove settings' box?

Thanks

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hi Waterface,
I think I was my instructions was poorly written. I hope this time you can understand:
Please read everything and understand everything before proceeding with the following steps:
please uninstall AVG 8.0 using add/remove.
before uninstalling AVG 7.5 please download AVG 8.0 from the link I provided above.
Please uninstall AVG 7.5 and install AVG 8.0, in the process of install AVG 8.0 check for updates and reply back if the updates worked or not.

However, i recall when i 1st uninstalled 7.5, i didn't check the 'remove user settings' tab!!, is this the necessary issue that i didn't do that may prevent 8.0 from updating?

I'm not sure what the user settings tab is but since it is part of AVG 7.5 adn you want to have AVG 8.0 i would check that and uninstall AVG 7.5 Once you uninstalled AVG 7.5 install AVG 8.0

I uninstalled AVG 8.0.138.a.133 that i initially downloaded from AVG as it was a newer version than the one in filehippo.

Can you show me the link where you download the new version of AVG 8.0.138.a.133 from grifsoft.

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi
I installed AVG 8 from the link provided, but it said it noticed version 7.5 & it would uninstall that whilst installing version 8!
I tried both versions!, yours from file hippo & this :-

http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe#tba2

the one you asked for!

AVG 8 won't install if 7.5 is there, so i uninstall version 7.5 using the 'uninstall AVG7.5 ' from start>programmes>avg uninstall! Is this different fro using add/remove?

The user settings tab is there in version 8 when i uninstall & It asks me if i want to remove user settings, along with emptying virus vault!!

Both versions don't & won't download updates!, both versions cause Firefox to crash & ask for report to be sent!

:thumbsup: wf

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hi Waterface,
That sounds like a very serious promblem.

uninstall version 7.5 using the 'uninstall AVG7.5 ' from start>programmes>avg uninstall! Is this different fro using add/remove?

Don't think theres any difference.

Both versions don't & won't download updates!, both versions cause Firefox to crash & ask for report to be sent!

AVG 7.5 doesn't work ethier!!! What happened...I think this needs more attention to. I don't think I can solve this promblem alone I need other people's advice as well, A moderator might move this topic for you. Don't know why AVG 7.5 is not working all of a sudden...What service pack is it currently and what is your OS and how much Ram does your computer have. you can get all the information by right clicking on "My Computer". One thought can you manually install the updates from grifsoft?

#9 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hi extremeboy
No, sorry, 7.5 works fine, just both versions of 8.0!!, the one from filehippo & the newer one from the link i gave you!!.

My only option is to maybe turn off my firewall or uninstall it & turn on windows firewall & see what happens!!
I seem to be in a dead end!

I though manualy installing was clicking on 'update' in the programme as opposed to setting the updates to automatically update at a certain time & day!, within the programme!

Have a look here & see what you think! I use this firewall

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,135918,backpage=2,sv=

Thanks

#10 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

Interesting...It seems AVG 8.0 has lots of promblems. I have 2 suggustions then.
If the firewall is causing the trouble.
1)Disable your firewall and update using AVG 8.0 then reenable your firewall and update again see if it works.
2)Maybe use another firewall such as Zone Alarm/Comodo Firewall 3.0
There's alot of other firewalls you can use instead that are great as well. Try the first method and see if it works.
Also if that doesn't work I guess you have to disable your Firewall each time you update with AVG 8.0.... or you can just replace that firewall with some other firewalls.
Hope you get this promblem solved soon :thumbsup:

#11 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

Thankyou for your persistance & help extremeboy!
I shall do this tomorrow!
I'm not sure as to how to turn off my Ashampoo firewall as i've not done it before!, maybe i need to uninstall it!

If i do this, do i need then to turn on Windows Firewall as i need a Firewall to go online to update version 8.0?
I ask this as i know Windows Firewall is less secure than a 3rd party firewall! Does WFW only work if the up to date patches from microsoft are installed?, which they aren't on my pc!

If it is the firewall, i may change that or use an alternate antivirus like Avast!!

I shall report back

Thanks again

Wf

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

I'm not sure as to how to turn off my Ashampoo firewall as i've not done it before!, maybe i need to uninstall it!
If i do this, do i need then to turn on Windows Firewall as i need a Firewall to go online to update version 8.0?

I never had ashampoo firewall so not sure how to disable it. Usually to disable a firewall you right click on the icon and click exit. That will disable it, to reenable it just double click your Ashampoo firewall shortcut icon.
You should at least have Windows Firewall enable if you disable/uninstall ashampoo,as they always say something is better than nothing.

If it is the firewall, i may change that or use an alternate antivirus like Avast!!

sorry, I didn't mean to tell you just to uninstall your firewall. If you choose to keep your firewall and the update promblem still occur to AVG 8.0 you can always have another Anti-virus program such as Avast or Avira. I'll give you some of my feedback on Avast. Avast slows down my computer alot because it takes alot of resources. Also the scans are extremely long. The good thing about Avast is it has a built in rookitscan and Anti-spyware scan(not sure about the anti-spyware scan).If you would to chose between Avast and Avira I would select Avira because the scans are not extremely long doesn't take alot of resources. Since Avira doesn't have an anti-rookit scan and if you wish to have an anti-rookit scan you can use F-secure Black Light anti-rookit. Let me know by tommorrow.
I might not respond to you tommorrow because I am leaving, i'll be back aroun 8:00pm and I have some work to do, after I'm done I'll try to respone to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Extremeboy

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:02 AM

If I might make a few suggestions--extremeboy has done a great job being helpful but I see a couple items that may be off the mark.

I recently started using AVG 8 myself on two computers. First upgrading from 7.5 on my sister's PC. On my PC I switched from AntiVir to AVG 8, having not run AVG on this machine before. That is just to say I'm just now getting familiar with it. I have issues of my own with AVG but they don't relate to the subject of this topic and don't have the update problems described here.

I can't say for sure, but believe I don't have those updates problems because I chose not to install the toolbar/linkscanner and the email scanner. Yes you do have that option. If you start from scratch like I did, I believe you can choose to do a custom installation. I don't recall at what point the choice came up, just know I choose not to install those components. I will get into why no email scanner in just a bit, and the linkscanner--well I just don't like toolbars and I had heard the linkscanner caused problems--slowness if nothing else.

I don't think it was a good idea to disable the email scanner service as was suggested to you in another thread. Better to use the configuration options or component installation options controls.

It may be that you did not see the option to forego the email scanner installation because you still had AVG 7.5 installed. As you found out, 8 will uninstall 7.5 if it finds it still present. I didn't go that route on my sister's computer. I completely uninstalled 7.5 ( and actually used Revo uninstaller portable version that I am currently testing) and then ran the setup for 8.

Also, if you've had files sitting in the Virus Vault for any length of time and had no problems because of it, then it is safe to empty the Vault when it asks. If you are unsure, then it is also safe to leave them.

My suggestion, if I were you, would be to stat from scratch by uninstalling All copies of AVG that you have installed. Then disable Ashampoo while your computer is offline, install 8 without email scanner and toolbar, and this time remove user settings, then turn on Windows firewall, go online and see if you can get updates. If that works, re-enable Ashampoo and see if the problem re-occurs. If so you will need to decide which program you want to keep. Personally, tho I have not tried Ashampoo either, I would get rid of AVG--I think I'll go back to Avira or repurchase Kaspersky.

If you are still having problems with Ashampoo disabled, you may need to try uninstalling Ashampoo. Some firewall drivers won't let go until they are uninstalled. The windows firewall is better than nothing and you will be reasonably protected while you straighten this out, but if you do any high risk surfing at all, you need another 3rd party firewall.

These are the steps I would take--it is pretty much the same as what extremeboy suggested but let's try them in exact order:

First, if you still have 7.5 installed, uninstall it from Add/Remove programs via Control Panel.

1. Check the name of the setup file you downloaded and make sure it is the latest version. As I write this the current version file name is avg_free_stf_en_8_138a1332.exe. If yours in not the latest version 138, then download it again and save the file to some location on your computer--your desktop or downloads folder, etc.

2. Take your computer offline. If on broadband, physically disconnect.

3. Disable Ashampoo firewall. Check their help file for how to disable, but as already mentioned, usually a right click on the icon in the system tray will have an option to "exit" or similar. The icon will either gray out or disappear, which lets you know its disabled. If it disappears, to re-enable you'll need to restart it from the start menu or other shortcuts. This may not completely disable the firewall, however, so it is important for you to look thru the settings for an option that will prevent it from running on startup/reboot. This can be phrased in many different ways, just use your best judgement and ignore any warnings that you won't be protected. This is just temporary and we don't want the firewall to run when windows is restarted after AVG installation.

If present, also disable Spybot S&D's TeaTimer, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware's Adwatch and SpywareGuard.

4. Follow the instructions from the AVG forum you were linked to. At this point do steps 2 thru 4.

5. After restart, check that your firewall and other security tools are still disabled.

6. Install AVG 8. Don't install the toolbar or email scanner. Cancel any updates, as you are still disconnected from the 'net. You can update on your own (what you think of as manual updates) later.

7. Turn on Windows firewall. Via Control Panel, Security Center.

8. Restart again.

8. Connect to the internet.

9. Try running updates. (Click Update now).

10. If you can update, re-enable Ashampoo firewall and reboot. Can you still update?

11. Let us know how it goes.

By running the installer again you caqn turn off components or reinstall the linkscanner and email scanner if your really want them, but let's try the above first.

It may be that the firewall does not like the linkscanner, but that may not affect the updates.

Antivirus Email scanners are a layer of protection that aren't really needed and may actually cause more harm than good. This is not conventional wisdom but hear me out. They are really just a marketing tool of the AV vendors. They know that there is a demand for them, but that demand is because of a misunderstanding of how an antivirus works. I just have time for a couple of quotes and links from some MSMVP's, and reserve comments on Mailwasher:

There is no good reason for an email scanning module. It is driven from the marketing folks at AV vendors, not from the technical side of the House.

Antivirus acts as a kernel level file filter. That means that even if you remove the email filter module, the emails are scanned every time they are opened. It has proved the case for years under Win9x, ME and XP that the introduction of email modules to an antivirus product offers no additional protection, but is a serious cause of database corruption in Outlook Express, Outlook and now Windows Mail under Vista.

http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33234

Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption

When encountering the symptoms of DBX corruption, many people immediately fear that their computer is infected with a virus. As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time. To lessen the risk of such corruption you should disable the e-mail scanning module in your anti-virus program. This is usually easy to do by looking at the user-configurable options in the anti-virus program. It is not at all necessary to scan e-mail for viruses to protect your computer.

Now before you dismiss me as mad, let me explain why e-mail scanning is unnecessary. Almost every anti-virus program for Windows installs by default a system scan that runs in the background every time Windows starts. This scan is necessary to protect your computer. If you receive a virus in an e-mail attachment, the virus cannot do anything at all until you actually open the attachment. At that time Outlook Express extracts the attachment from the message and saves it to the Temporary Internet Files folder on your hard disk and attempts to open the file. And it is precisely at that moment that a background system scan will detect the virus, provided it is able to do so, and stop the virus from executing. The system scan will usually delete the infected file from the Temporary Internet Files folder, or else move it to quarantine. To remove the infected e-mail message in Outlook Express, simply hold the Shift key while you press the Delete key. That's all it takes to keep your computer safe, both from e-mail viruses and e-mail anti-virus scanners. Scanning e-mail as it arrives therefore adds nothing to your level of protection. It might indeed make you feel more protected, but that feeling is an illusion. If the system scan is unable to detect the virus, the e-mail scan will fail to do so also.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/commun...tion.mspx#EOAAC

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#14 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi extremeboy & papakid
Papakid, 1st i must say that i will follow your instruction, but must wait until tomorrow as i feel i need to print off your instructions for reference.

Yes, on installing, i opted to disable toolbar, link scanner & email scanner because i too hate toolbars & in version 7.5, the email scanner conflicts with my Mailwasher & the linkscanner seems to be something i don't need!!
Is it better to use the configuration options or component installation control to disable email scanner as opposed to doing it via custom install!

Version 7.5 has an email scanner too, whish i also uninstalled via the custom installation. I have no files stored in Virus Vault.

Removing user settings is only an option i think on uninstallation!, i was confused when you said to remove user settings after disabling Ashampoo whilst installing version 8!
Do you mean!, when i uninstall 7.5 (what i'm using now), remove user settings from that version before rebooting?

I have heard lots of negatives about version 8.0, that its over complicated & has a lot of unnecessarys.
I only used Ashampoo firewall because it uses minimal space & claims to be simple to use & is!
Ashampoo also has an AV programme that i may consider, also i will look at Aviro which i hear is good.

I can right click on the taskbar icon & it says 'exit', but am unaware of how to re-enable it?
Will Windows FW be up to date as i don't use microsoft patches & haven't used the WFW for a very long time! Hence, does it need updating?

Mailwasher i have always used as i can check all incoming mail before they are downloaded to my mail programme, deciding wether to blacklist them etc!
I personaly find it very useful, however i know some that have different opinions.

I guess the link scanner is a gimmick to sell the product, i thought that as long as using common sense, knowing what to & what not to open, click on etc, all will be fine!

I am extremely thankfull for you taking time & your wisdom is apprciated & valuable.

I shall report back asap after i have done the tasks!

Many thanks

WF

#15 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

I just have a short time so will answer your questions in more detail later.

The instructions I gave are for if you have version 8 installed. The specific steps are for uninstalling 8 and then reinstalling it. You say you are using 7.5, does that mean you have both 8 and 7.5 installed at the same time? If you don't have 8 installed, then those instructions need to be modified.

Let me know--if 8 is still installed, then please wait for further instructions.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users