Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what the problem is

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hunchy

hunchy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

My pc will see the hard disk, cd drive and other devices, but when I try to install windows 98, the pc will go to the setup process where it says that its copying files, and eventually brings me back to the command prompt without doing anything. I did try also with a linux disk, but I ran into the same problem. I have taken everything out to where the pc is a barebones and tried from there. But still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:34 AM

Is this a new hard drive? Have you run fdisk and created at least one partition and then formatted the drive?

#3 hunchy

hunchy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

Is this a new hard drive? Have you run fdisk and created at least one partition and then formatted the drive?

The hard drive is relatively new it is a 40G Seagate drive, I have run fdisk on the drive, formatted it, and also set it to the active partition.

With a dos disk I can create directories and file on the hard drive, I can also see the cd drive, the win 98 cd can do a scan disk of the drive.

it fails when it tries to copy the files across.

the hard drive is a master, and bootable cds do start too boot from the cd drive.

originally I was having this problem with a linux disc, I was using windows 98 as a test to diagnose the problem. linux was failing to install from the cd also.

I have changed ide cables, removed pci devices to leave a barebones system with motherboard, hard drive, cpu, ram, cd drive and floppy and it still fails to install the os.

any ideas would be great?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:48 AM

Sorry, Hunchy, I'm drawing a blank on this one. I hope somebody else has an idea.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:56 AM

Replaced the CDROM drive?

If that made no difference:
On the partitioned and formatted hard drive create a directory called Win98.
Copy the contents of the Win98 folder on the CD to the Win98 folder on the hard drive.
Remove the CD and run the install from the hard drive.

Does it work that way?

Edited by Rimmer, 12 April 2005 - 03:56 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users