Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disappearing Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swizilstix

swizilstix

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

So a little less than a year ago I bought an IBM Thinkpad T60 with Windows XP and a 120 GB hard drive. When my laptop first arrived, after being formatted, there were 106 GB free for me to work with. I don't quite remember exactly when I noticed, but within a month or two I realized that I was already down to my last 25 GB or so of free space. Now, I have some software on my computer and about 6 GB of music, but I downloaded TreeSize Free to analyze the distribution of my files and according to the results I only have 19 GB of files (i've included the print screen image of the results below). With My Computer's reported 23 GB of free space and the used 19 GB from TreeSize Free, 64 GB of hard drive space has disappeared.

Iím not sure if this really is a malware issue. As far as I can tell, my computer has not slowed down tremendously. It does take about 45 seconds to a minute in order to load my file settings etc from the login screen after booting up, which is longer than I had expected. Other than that, everything seems to be working normally most of the time. Occasionally my taskbar and sometimes the program as well (typically mozilla) that I have been working in freezes and lags for up to 10 minutes, but I've heard that that is caused by an error with one of the start up programs that I need to take the time diagnosing with msconfig. I run Spybot S&D at least once every three or four days and almost always get a clean bill of health (including this morning). I also defrag my comp pretty regularly with Diskeeper Lite, which is how I first noticed all the used GBs.

I run ZoneAlarm as my firewall and AVG as my Antivirus.

So first I used BitDefender Online Scan and it didnít turn up any viruses.
Then I ran the Kaspersky Online Scan and received this log:

Friday, July 4, 2008
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner 7 version: 7.0.25.0
Program database last update: Friday, July 04, 2008 17:05:00
Records in database: 913326

Scan settings
Scan using the following database extended
Scan archives yes
Scan mail databases yes

Scan area Critical Areas
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Documents and Settings\Celina Joos\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\Program Files
C:\WINDOWS

Scan statistics
Files scanned 36704
Threat name 1
Infected objects 1
Suspicious objects 0
Duration of the scan 00:51:21

File name Threat name Threats count
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll Infected: not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.PopCap.b 1

The selected area was scanned.

I looked up popcaploader.dll and found out that it is a file downloaded by PopCap Games every time you try to play certain games on websites like Yahoo, MSN, Pogo, etc. Supposedly its no major threat, but even if it wasnít there, I don't think it explains the lost 60 GBÖ

I donít believe Iíve gotten any error messages, and other than the lagging taskbar, I donít think Iíve had any other symptoms. Yet somehow 60 GB of hard drive has disappearedÖ any ideas what happened?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swizilstix

swizilstix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

well its been five days and i haven't recieved a reply. i'm going to post a HJT log in the appropriate forum; hopefully someone can help me out there.
thanks anyway!
swizilstix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users