Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want To Disable.. 'save Changes To Untitled?'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:04 AM

Hi Bleepers!

Is there a way of disabling the notice that asks me... 'Save changes to untitled?' when the machine's closing down? This is a notice relating to mspaint.

I always click 'NO'.

Sometimes I set the PC to shutdown on a delay timer, but in the morning find it hasn't closed down because of these infernal notices that require me to manually click the 'NO' button.

I want to disable this blinking notice so it doesn't pop up again.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Bone Idol, 05 July 2008 - 06:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

If you're using psshutdown or shutdown.exe, use the -f flag, like so
(Assuming shutdown in 5 minutes time:)

shutdown -s -f -t 300
psshutdown -kft 300

This Forces a shutdown, regardless of whether an application hangs or not. You will lose any unsaved data, but I think you know that already.

Regards,
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:58 AM

I use a 'hard' shutdown setting, but it still doesn't override the notice.Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks tsw, but I have no idea what you mean. Are those downloaded software installations, or built-in capabilities of Windows XP?

++++++++++++++++++++

Update: I've followed up your advice, tsws - and now I find that after unzipping Shutdown.exe the resulting file refuses to open up. It flashes a black command window for an instant, and that's all.

I might have better luck with psshutdown.

Edited by Bone Idol, 05 July 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#4 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

shutdown.exe is a built in utility. Paste the command line shown into the Run dialog, and you'll get a timed shutdown. (Use "Shutdown -a" to abort). If it doesn't work, prepend "C:\windows\system32\" and try again. That command line works on my PCs. (WXP Home and Pro, SP2)
PSShutdown is a utility produced by Sysinternals, now part of Microsoft. It's more flexible than shutdown.exe, so it's worth reading the fine manual that comes with it. Visit http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinte...s/bb897541.aspx.

I'm not familiar with the software shown in the screenshot, but from what you've shown, the ability can be duplicated using either of these command line tools.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users