Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Core Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 04:47 AM

Hi there,

I am currently ordering parts for my new build and I had planned on using an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor(3.0GHz,6MB Cache,1333MHz). However I am given the option to upgrade to an Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz) for an extra £10 ($20).

What I want to know is, is it really worth going for a quad core? Or will a Dual core comfotably cope with most high-end games?

Thanks

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

The E8400, will run games and applications faster than the Q6600. On the other hand, the Q6600 will multitask better, and will run an application better if it supports multi-threading. More and more applications are starting to supports multi-threading, so the Q6600 would beat out the E8400 in these situations. So it's really up to you. A quad-core might be more future proof, but the E8400 is still a little faster, now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 cornzey

cornzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I don't usually run lots of CPU hungry apps, so I'll probably go for the Dual Core.

Thanks again,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users