Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want These Folders Off My Computer, How?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iwantthesefilesoff

iwantthesefilesoff

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:22 PM

I want to remove these folders, and the new one that showed up as if by magic the other day:

documents and settings/localservice
documents and settings/networkservice

these were discovered on my computer after installing ie7. Uninstalling ie7 did not remove the folders or all the many many subfolders with TONS of temporary internet and temp files that is slogging down my computer.

The folders do not show up in My Computer. I learned of them because as I was playing with an old card making software program I saw them listed. No other program shows these folders and niether does My Computer.

I have did the CMD thing but I really want a way to remove these folders completely and totally.

Thank you.

:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

have you tried deleting these files
you could try unlocker
download it from here

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:31 AM

From http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserve...3.mspx?mfr=true :

The LocalService and NetworkService profiles are automatically created for two new built in user accounts that are used by the Service Control Manager to host services that do not need to run as the local system account. While these two new profiles are normal user profiles, because they are required by the system to run, they are treated slightly differently:
LocalService and NetworkService profiles are not shown in the profiles list on the system properties dialog.
Both LocalService and NetworkService profiles are located in %systemroot%\Documents and Settings by default, but are marked as super hidden so that they are not ordinarily visible.

So, if you delete them despite the warnings to the contrary, don't be surprised if your computer won't run some things - especially a concern with Network Services as that's how you connect to the internet.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 iwantthesefilesoff

iwantthesefilesoff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:24 AM

They were NOT ever part of my computer before and I logged on just fine before why should they suddenly appear now? Uninstalling IE7 did not remove the files either.

I did not sign up for anything and I do not have a network.

This is just another way for microbleep to spy on people.

I know for a fact that I had this computer for YEARS and these folders were NOT on the computer so why should I have them now all of a sudden?

I want them gone.

If I have to I'll buy a new harddrive and toss this one if I can't get rid of the folders.

#5 HelpingGuy123

HelpingGuy123

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

You may try restoring your XP to a back (without folder) date, as,

Start --> Run --> Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore

Good luck.
Technology Bytes Plus
http://learnITfast.blogspot.com

#6 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

...why do you want to delete them?
Posted Image

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

Just to add, these folders are hidden system folders. they are hidden to stop users from finding them and deleting them. As usasma posted that the removal of these folders will impact on the system and stop things from running.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users