Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Vs Cpu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 windowsFTW

windowsFTW

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

Ok guys im looking at two different processor to put into my computer, here are the specs of my computer right now http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3644 , and i was wondering which cpu would be better out of the AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor or the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor they are both very close in price on newegg. I use my computer for college and a little gaming like d2 (waiting for d3) and wow. just wondering what yall think about which cpu would be a better fit for my computer, also i do play on putting vista on my computer in the near future.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:22 AM

Without knowing what the motherboard is, I don't know if it will support either of the processors.

Try downloading SIW, it should list your motherboard. Once you know what the motherboard is you should be able to google it to find out what processors it supports.

If the two CPUs listed are compatible with your motherboard, I would go with the Brisbane.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

More cores = better.

Id go with the brisbane if it was compatible with your motherboard. It will be loads better than a single core ESPECIALLY with vista.

(Give me a shout oh b.net as soon as D3 comes out. I garentee I will be on ;D )
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 starfireone

starfireone

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz you will be happy. I am running the 5000 black edition and I am very happy with it. Runs cool low temps and never bogs down on anything. But check mother board compatibility before buying is good advice.

Thanks
Starfireone

www.nickscomputerfix.com

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

More cores typically = better.**

**This is the case if you use applications that can use them, otherwise you're limited by the clock speed.

3939.png

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:23 AM

More cores typically = better.**

**This is the case if you use applications that can use them, otherwise you're limited by the clock speed.

Yes, if it fits the socket and the motherboard, he might overclock, if he's not worried about the warranty.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#7 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:28 AM

Ok guys im looking at two different processor to put into my computer, here are the specs of my computer right now http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=W3644 , and i was wondering which cpu would be better out of the AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor or the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor they are both very close in price on newegg. I use my computer for college and a little gaming like d2 (waiting for d3) and wow. just wondering what yall think about which cpu would be a better fit for my computer, also i do play on putting vista on my computer in the near future.

Thanks Hello: Houston here, I had an Emachine, lasted 2 years. Tech support there is not so great. Why not buy a machine running Vista already, get at least 300 gig HD, and 2 gigs of Ram,Alan

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users