Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing Network Adapter Device Driver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have an machine running Windows XP pro that has two network adapters:

- One is a Linksys LNE 100TX card plugged into a PCI slot

- The other is an integrated network card (unknown vendor)

At one time in the past I had both network adapters running because I was going to use the machine as a firewall, but other projects came up and it just didn't happen. I can't remember what I did, but I must of uninstalled the driver on the integrated card or something, because it doesn't show up under Control Panel -> Network Connections. I can only see the Linksys card.

I just bought a new machine and I want to put the Linksys card into it, and use the integrated network card for the old machine. Under the device manager, I can see the Linksys card and under "Other devices" I see "Ethernet Controller" with a yellow question mark by it. This looks like it might be the integrated Network Adapter. I look at the properties for this and I see that "The device is not configured correctly (Code 1)

Since I don't know which driver to install and I do not have a CD for this integrated card, I opened up my machine to see if I see the name of it, but there isn't anything there to determine what type of integrated card that it is so I know which drive to install.

I've tried letting the wizard find the appropriate driver for it on the Internet, but it fails.

I've tried different drivers when I do it manually, but each driver installation attempt comes back with "The Device Cannot Start Code 10"

I've also run Belarc on my machine to see if it will pick up a hardware type on the integrated network adapter, but it only sees the Linksys adapter.

Can anyone give me any advice on where I should look next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Hello SysTech Guy

You could try windows update. Sometimes it picks up on network drivers and updates them. Or you could download WinAudit
and have a look for the other network adapter.

Also, if the device is embedded into the motherboard, what make and model is the board? This will lead to finding the adaptor.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

According to XP in Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System information, it says:

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP dc5000 uT(DZ216AV)

I've googled this model number and have found nothing.

Is there a site that can help with identifying components on this moterboard?

#4 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

By the way, Windows Update didn't see it.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:27 AM

I have just been on HP's website, and found the support page for the HP dc5000 here
Regards,

Alan.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:38 AM

Open up Device Manager and right click on the device with the ?
Select Properties
Select the Details tab
In the dropdown box, select Hardware ID

There will be 4 characters immediately after VEN_ (the Vendor ID) and another 4 characters immediately after DEV_ (the Device ID) - write them down
Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and enter the characters after the VEN_ in the Vendor search box,
Then click on the link for the vendor in the next page
Then search that page for the characters after the DEV_

Let us know the Vendor name and the description for the Device ID - from that we can usually figure out the appropriate driver to install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

Motherboard manual...or owner's manual if boxmaker (Dell, Gateway, etc.) system.

Where's the driver disk that came with either your system or the motherboard? That driver has to be on that disk, if it's onboard...no need to search for it on the Web.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users