Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube Ordered To Hand Over Viewing Data

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:04 PM

(07-03) 18:06 PDT -- In a ruling that could have serious privacy implications, a federal judge has ruled that popular Internet video site YouTube must hand over details about what people watch online.

The decision filed Wednesday by U.S. District Judge Louis L. Stanton in New York is part of a $1 billion copyright-infringement lawsuit that Viacom Inc., the entertainment group that owns Comedy Central, VH1 and Nickelodeon, among others, filed last year against Google, which owns YouTube.

Full article here: YouTube ordered to hand over viewing data Anastasia Ustinova,Ellen Lee, Chronicle Staff Writers

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JR9999

JR9999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:07 PM

I hope this isn't the end for youtube, all i can say for them is OUCH!!
"God created men.. Winchester and Baseball bats made them equal" Evel Knievel

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

It was only a matter of time wasn't it? With people uploading entire films, many of which are recent DVD releases, can anybody be that suprised?

#4 JR9999

JR9999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:20 PM

Very true King, i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did without any trouble. But once again, leave it up to a few bad eggs to ruin it for everyone...
"God created men.. Winchester and Baseball bats made them equal" Evel Knievel

#5 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

Many videos with an anti-Viacom theme being uploaded to YouTube. Don't most people join YouTube with false details? I was wondering just in case they were thinking of suing the end user for watching copyrighted material.

This is the best sfw one I have seen.

I know this isn't the usual forum for videos, but I think it belongs in this thread.

#6 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

More information and a video (of questionable taste) is here:
http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2008/07/epic-fail-for-all.html

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Google, owners of YouTube, will now hand over the database but without data that could identify users.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7506948.stm

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Viacom has "backed off". More like they've been pushed back by people threatening to boycott there product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users