Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Logo Shows Then Screen Goes Black

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 luckyjoe

luckyjoe

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

my screen also goes blank after the windows logo display, i have tried restarting, starting in safe mode and the monitor continues to remain black after the windows logo. When i restart in safe mode my computer shows files in ms dos and appears to crash. I changed my display settings and can't get back on to my normal desktop. i cannot get back on to change my settings. i have also tried to start at last known save point and this neither doesn't work. I went into bios and switched my display adapter to the onboard card, still no luck. I don't think there is a motherboard problem like my last comp, but I can't logon to switch the display settings, once I get to the logon on screen, my display goes black. cheers 4 help.

System:
xp pro
celeronD 3.3ghz
512mb ram
100gb hd
(video card) radeon9200 128mb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

Can you get into Safe Mode? To do this, try tapping the F8 key repeatedly just before the Windows splash screen shows up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

I have tried to get it into safe mode but when I tap F8 and it tries to load it, I get a series of lines of white text on a black background like it is trying to load something up. Perhaps its a line of DOS commands, I don't really know but it will not get past that to load up windows and give me the logon screen.
*thanks a lot for getting back to me on this

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

The DOS-like commands are normal - and where they stop could give us a clue as to what's going on.
There should be an option for VGA mode or something similar - try that one.

Typically, with black screen problems in XP, it's either a boot setting, a hardware issue, or a problem with your video drivers. In most instances, if a computer boots successfully to Safe Mode - then it's a video driver issue (since Windows loads it's own video driver in Safe Mode).

Since you're not getting there, it could be a number of things - so we'll have to troubleshoot them one-by-one. Do you have an XP installation disk? If so, insert it in the CD drive and boot from it. At the first prompt you'll be asked to press "R" to repair the computer using the Recovery Console (tutorial here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ )

Once in the Recovery Console, type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Let the check run and note any error messages that you may receive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:55 PM

i did a disk check, but did not have any errors pop up. It took me about 60-90 minutes to complete and just returned 97675168 kb total disk space and 48851324 kb are availible. nothing seemed out of the ordinary however :/

I then tried to boot after selecting enable VGA mode and then booting to windows, unfortunately I was just left with the windows logo screen, and once that was done loading, I had the same black screen at the logon page.

Finally I tried booting one last time in safe mode, the last line that i see when it is stuck trying to load drivers is
....\Windows\system32\drivers\TDI.SYS
When this first stops loading, I am given the option to "hit Esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys"
I tried letting it just run as it pleases, and hitting escape, still it wont boot even after giving it five or ten minutes

sigh :/ perhaps you still have another idea, or a suggestion what to do from here? thanks so much for your help

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:03 AM

As a long shot (I'm at work right now so I can't spend a lot of time online) try these commands in the Recovery Console:

fixmbr

fixboot

Press Enter after you type each one, then answer Y for Yes when it asks about doing the operation. Then press Enter again. Once that's done, try rebooting. If this doesn't work, then we'll move on to more hardware diagnostics.

#7 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

after typing in fixmbr I get a warning that I have "a non-standard or invalid master boot record. It continues to say that I "could damage my partition tables if I proceed and cause all the partitions on the hard disk to become inaccessible....If I'm not having problems accessing my drive I should not continue."

As I can still log onto my acct, although I can not see anything when I do, I would almost rather try to back up my documents, music and pictures to an external hd blindly than choose this option so I typed in no and moved onto your next suggestion.

I did create a new boot sector with fixboot; sadly, still no luck. I really appreciate your help and I'm not in such a terrible rush if you don't want to have to check on this at work or all the time at home. Thanks a lot either way.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

It seems to me that the Recovery Console said that there was a problem with your MBR. As such, I don't think that this will cause any further harm to your system (as long as you're not using some sort of boot manager other than the one built into Windows).

The fixmbr is a long shot - but it does indicate that Windows doesn't like the MBR that it found. And the MBR contains the pointers that tell the system where to find the boot sector. So, I'd keep that in mind while continuing to troubleshoot this issue.

You've stated that you can still get into your account, but have related that the system won't boot in Safe, normal, or VGA mode. I'm a bit confused here. :thumbsup: Could you explain a bit more about what you're able to do versus what you're not able to do? Early in the boot sequence errors usually point to hardware, disk function, or early Windows initialization functions - the further into the boot sequence that you're able to get, the more likely it is that there's a problem within Windows or with a hardware driver (that doesn't load early in the boot process).

And yes, I'd suggest backing up your data in any way that you can right now. That's the most important thing.

#9 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

perhaps, you should try and boot into linux (just get a live cd) and see if linux solves this problem. If linux works, then its windows. Also, in my experience, safe mode is reeealy slow to boot. Perhaps you are confusing safe mode crashing with it just being slow. I don't know. Just an idea.
Posted Image

#10 luckyjoe

luckyjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

sorry this took so long for me to get back, i have been working on backing everything up, slowly as I transfer things to my flash drive and then onto a laptop. This hasn't been going too well so I will buy a case enclosure for the hd this weekend and use that to transfer all of my files to a different machine at once.
When I say I can logon and access the data I do so by tabbing over to my logon name at the logon screen and entering my password. While I can not see anything onscreen, I can still here start up sounds and by using keyboard commands that I follow as I do the same on my laptop I can open folders and copy files blindly. Unfortunately, when I tried to run the narrator from the start-->run menu I had no luck, just what sounds like a warning popup window.That would have made things a little easier.

Thanks so much for your help so far, once I have everything safely stored away I will try your last suggestion and hopefully that will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users