Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking To Buy A Dvd Burner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

Looking to buy a new DVD burner. I have a couple of PC's I'd like to be able to swap it in and out of. 1 PC is 2 years old and the other 2 are about 8 years old. Should I get one that is IDE or SATA? It will a be used internally in all 3 PC's. What is a good brand to buy? Looking to spend around $35.

Opinions please.

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

IDE...from what I understand, there is no significant advantage to a SATA-connected drive, other than the skinny cable.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243406-32-sata-burner

Louis

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

C'mon guys, looking for some brands here. please help.

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

I've never had any problems with Lite-On or Sony... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

There's probably no brand preference (based on anything) when it comes to certain types of electronics.

My understanding is that very large concerns make the majority of drives for the vendors...which means the worksmanship should be just about the same.

I usually buy the cheapest drive available at that time and have always found that they do the job. I have no brand preference other than "works."

Mitsumi, LG Electronics, Lite-On...I believe these are the top 3 manufacturers and the rest just comes down to user preference (at the moment).

Any of the following would do the job: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...:89|&Sort=4

Louis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:20 PM

Should I get one that is IDE or SATA?

This would depend on what the motherboards support
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

If your mobo supports SATA, I'd get that, it has a much faster rate of reading than IDE does. Also, with SATA, you don't need to hook up a separate audio cable from the drive to the mobo.

I have a Samsung, but I got it OEM at a local computer store on the cheap. I'd do the same if I were you, hunt around local computer shops that sell OEM drives, they're MUCH cheaper provided you already have the cables you need (or you can just buy the cables separately).

Edited by Venek, 06 July 2008 - 10:27 AM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

mobo is a d945gtp, what do you guys recommend for a internal dvd burner, thx

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

You have 1 IDE and 4 SATA ports. This is the SATA drive I have
http://www.newegg.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:51 AM

I got this one in my recent build -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154

its been good for me so far, and by going on what garmanna said, you're going to want to go with SATA drives on this one.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users