Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Underpowered Card? Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Auroron

Auroron

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

So, I have a GeForce 9800GTX 512MB, and I have gotten some problems when I have been playing.
After and hour or so of gaming I get these flickering squares jumping around and my sound usually dissapears. So I quit the game and sometimes I get small red pixels and black lines, and sometimes my computer crash to a blue screen and it gathers information before it restarts. (This screen: http://thevistaforums.com/uploads/monthly_...1170708158.jpg)
And yeah, I have Vista SP1.
I have been bothered by Nvlddmkm.sys, but recently I haven't seen anything of it.

I have a, as sated earlier, a Geforce 9800GTX 512MB, with a 550W PSU. Is this whats causing the problems? I have heard that the 9800 needs at least 650-700W. I don't want to spend 105 euro on a new PSU if I don't need it.
SO, do I need a new PSU, if not, what is causing the problem? Answer fast. Good answers will be rewarded with cookies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

I don't think the PSU is the problem.

MESH Computers sell a PC with the 9800GTX 512mb and that comes with a 550w PSU.

I wouldn't have thought they would install a PSU which isn't powerful enough.

What CPU are you using?

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#3 Auroron

Auroron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

I don't think the PSU is the problem.

MESH Computers sell a PC with the 9800GTX 512mb and that comes with a 550w PSU.

I wouldn't have thought they would install a PSU which isn't powerful enough.

What CPU are you using?

I only changed the graphic card before buying my system, and it clearly said "For 8800 cards, at least 550W is needed", but I changed 8800 to 9800. But yeah. I have heard that it's enough power and that it is not enough, so i'm totally clueless on what to do.
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz 1333Mhz

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

You listed a 550 Watt power supply. More importantly we need to know the amperage ratings for the 12v rails. List the make and model number of the unit installed in your computer. This can be found on the sticker located on the power supply. The inside of the computer has many electrical components that may shock you. Be sure to unplug the power supply from the wall outlet before opening the case. Also be sure to properly ground your self to the computer case to prevent any static discharge that may damage the components inside the case.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users