Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats Wrong With My Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uptotheeyeballs

uptotheeyeballs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:18 AM

Hey guys, i've recently discovered a problem with my computer. I'm an ebay member and have been for some time now. I recently sold something for a fair amount of money. This item went as a 'buy it now' and the buyer sent the money straight away. (said on my basic paypal details that it was pending). So from experience i knew that i had to actually sign in to my Paypal account to accept this payment, so it could be completed. Usually to sign in to the paypal account all you need to do is provide your Password and it logs you in!!. So i put my password in and a page came up saying something along the lines of 'Due to fraudulent activity through paypal in the past we need to make this site more safe. In order to help us with this we need you to provide us with your details' etc. asking me to put in my name, address, Password, BANK DETAILS, etc which has never happened before, SO I LEFT THAT WELL ALONE!!. So i went to another computer today and tried the same thing and it logged me in to my paypal account without asking me any personal questions, which makes me worry that theres something on my computer thats doing this. Again another incident happened about 2 months ago when my mum tried to log onto her bank account and it sent her to a page which asked for all her bank details and pass words(in full) too, which she doesnt normally have to do.(she too didnt put any details in) and rang the bank to make sure everything was o.k. They did say that it could be a Trojan virus. She has since cancelled her online banking though. Ever since then we havent used the computer to do online banking or shopping.....................The thing is, the computer runs fine, its o.k on regular websites, this problem seems to occur when it comes to things where you have to provide bank details. Does this sound like it could be anything serious because, obviously we dont want to go on like this. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:28 AM

Hello uptotheeyeballs,

It certainly does sound like malware activity. You should follow the instructions found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

It sounds like you got caught in a phishing attempt. This is the first I've heard of them doing this with people actually trying to log onto Paypal. I had a e-mail which showed the Paypal web page with the same scam explaining that due to security issue...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 uptotheeyeballs

uptotheeyeballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Thanks guys, i do appreciate the feedback..........

................thanks nigglesnush, i'll check out the link!!..................as a matter of interest though, if i did follow the procedure to remove malware, and my computer wasnt infected with malware, would it do anything to my computer???

Edited by uptotheeyeballs, 04 July 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

if i did follow the procedure to remove malware, and my computer wasnt infected with malware, would it do anything to my computer???

If the system is not infected the experts will say so and nothing will be done. If the system is infected then they will guide you through step by step how to remove the malware if it is there.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users