Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with XP Professional and my e-mail application

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kharybdis

kharybdis

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:50 AM

Hi, folks.

I've been running Windows XP Professional for a couple of years, and in the past few months, I've had problems with my system launching my e-mail application (sometimes several instances of it) for no reason.

I ran Ad Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy on the system, and found nothing that should have caused this behavior.

Eventually, since there were a few other problems (notably with IE), I archived my important files and put them on another machine and then reinstalled Windows XP Professional. I figured this would create a fresh starting point for the machine and eliminate the problems I had been having.

I installed Mozilla's Firefox and Thunderbird programs, having grown to like them more than IE and Outlook. However, now my system has periodically begun to launch 1-4 instances of Mozilla Thunderbird for no apparent reason. I have not yet reloaded the archived files onto the machine, so I can't imagine what could be causing this behavior.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:56 AM

kharybdis,

I'm like you, using winXP pro, FF & T-Bird with IE and OE parked out back, so I'm curious about exactly what might launch T-Bird unexpectedly.

I have T-Bird set to POP deliver mail from one of the mail servers, and it does so well.
Politely issuing a small discreet popup above my time display when new
emails are arriving. I can configure it easier (IMHO) than Outlook or Outlook Express.
It might be in those configurations. T-Bird 1.0 version? (the latest?)

Maybe you could elaborate some,
possibly explain the circumstances in detail of how it happens,
what programs are running when it happens,
any other variables involved?

Others may have a clue, also.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 kharybdis

kharybdis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:17 PM

I have the same configuration you do, sounds like.

It happens in various situations, but most often when opening Word documents. It has happened while working in Word, but also when on the desktop.

I've got it connected to a Netgear router, with a cable modem internet connection.

This happened with Outlook Express too, before I reinstalled Windows XP Professional.

I had hoped the reinstall would handle the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users