Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cornzey

cornzey

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 04:14 AM

Hi there,

I am currently running a Nvidia GeForce 7300LE which is very low spec. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a card that is not too expensive but performs well for my new build.

Thanks,
Cornzey

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:54 AM

What is your price range? Also, what is the make and model number of your computer. If you have details about your power supply, and your motherboard, please list them. We'd like to know how many total watts the power supply has, and how many amps on the +12V rail(s) (ex. +12v 18a). The label on your power supply should show this information.

Besides all this, if your power supply and motherboard can handle it, I'd recommend getting an ATI Radeon HD 4850. Currently, this card has the best price to performance ratio. It is usually $200, but some might have rebates. If your looking for something better, the ATI 4870 just came out and it is really good also. At $300, it beats the Nvidia GTX 260 which costs about $450.

Now if your looking for something cheaper, the Nvidia 8800GT is pretty good.

Here are the latest benchmarks from tomshardware.com http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...870,1964-6.html .
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 cornzey

cornzey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hi there,

I haven't actually bought the motherboard yet, I probably didn't make it clear that I will be using the card in a new build. However I have included links below to the motherboard and PSU I'm thinking of buying.

Motherboard
PSU

If you think I can get better products a recommendation would be helpful.

I wish to spend around 100 on the graphics card (around $200 I think) but i can afford to go over this slightly.

I will be using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q7700 for the build.

Thanks

Posted Image

If I'm giving you help and I don't reply within 24 hours PM me with the topic link.

Avast Anti-Virus - Zone Alarm Firewall
Stay Protected.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

That power supply seems very good. I would suggest going with the ATI Radeon HD 4850 still, for around $200 USD. The thing is, with a Nvidia SLI chipset, you can only use two Nvidia based GPU's and not two ATI. You would still be able to use a single ATI card though, but you might as well get a cheaper motherboard with only one pci express slot. You would need an AMD or an Intel chipset with dual PCI express slots to do Crossfire.

If you want to keep that motherboard and do two graphics cards, you could get a Nvidia 9800GTX. They aren't as good as the ATI 4850's though, and they usually cost a little bit more. You could get one card now though, and in the future add in another, even though it would have to be another 9800GTX.

In that above post, take a look through the different benchmarks. It compares all the recent graphics cards.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users