Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Joke-bluescreen And Hjt Won't Run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JeffMig

JeffMig

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:25 PM

I'm a new member, and this is my first post.

Wonder if anyone would have some quick advice about the next steps I should take. I got hit with I think joke-bluescreen.c a couple days ago and I have probably spent 12 hours trying to figure this out and educate myself. I ran Ad Aware and that seemed to get rid of some of the problems like the message in the middle of the screen telling me I was infected (how cute). But IE is definitely hijacked and now won't run (it seems to find the home page and then I get the box saying IE has encountered a problem and needs to close, etc.

I've tried downloading some programs on another computer and then installing them on the infected one but with mixed results. SuperAntiSpyware loaded but if I run a full scan I get the Blue screen of death (I think that is what it's called). If I run a custom scan it seems to work but doesn't seem to help.

I tried downloading both Mozilla and HJT but nether will install. When I click on the HJTInstall.exe file (794kb) it asks me if I want to run it, I click yes, the cursor turns to the hourglass for a blink and then dissapears. Quite frustrating. And from reading different forums it seems that getting a HJT log is a standard step (which I can't do) and there seems to be lots of other software options and not sure which to try next.

Any advice about how to approach this from here on out would be great. It's runnig windows XP.

Thanks,
JeffMig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:56 AM

Hello JeffMig and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Here's something you can try.

Download Dr.Web CureIt! on another computer and run it on the problem computer in Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JeffMig

JeffMig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

This seemed to have helped. The quick scan found NtRoorKit.127 trojan and deleted it. I then started a full scan which after about 0 minutes was 25% through and had found a number of other ones then got stuck on a large exe file that I didn't need, so I stopped it, deleted the file, and started the scan again. Before I restarted I tried HJT which ran and put out a log file (into a SAS file (statistical software) for some reason).

So I'll finish the scan with Dr.Web CureIt for now and see what happens. If you have other thoughts of next steps after this scan, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JeffMig

#4 JeffMig

JeffMig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Note: the above reply was supposed to say 'after 90 minutes' not 0 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users