Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Realtek Ac97 Audio "this Device Cannot Start. (code 10)"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blackberet

blackberet

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

HP Pavillion zx5000
Intel Pentium 4
3.20 GHz
1 GB RAM
Windows XP Home Edition SP 3

My friend's laptop is having trouble recognizing its sound driver (Realtek AC97). The hard drive was replaced and the operating system reinstalled a couple months ago, and ever since then it hasn't been able to play sound. Under the Device Manager, Realtek AC'97 Audio has a yellow exclamation point next to it, and under its Device Status it reads "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, as well as downloading the most recent driver (the most recent I could find was 4.04), but to no avail. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

On other boards that I've looked at people have asked what motherboard was being used. I used Everest to find the following information under "Motherboard":

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard Pavilion zx5000 (DZ313U#ABA)
Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon 9100 IGP
System Memory 1024 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/16/04)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:16 AM

Hello blackberet,

This device cannot start. (Code 10) basically that there are driver problems. have you looked on HPs website for software for your specific laptop?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

We get this error a lot at work - and we find that it's usually because the Windows UAA architecture update hasn't been installed.

First, uninstall the current audio driver - both from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and from the Device Manager.
Try this link to get the UAA update installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111/en-us

Once the update is installed, download the Audio drivers from this link and install them: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...p;GetDown=false
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was unaware my post had been responded to.

niggles, yeah I tried hp's site for related software but nothing I found seemed to help. I've also tried installing the latest driver (A4.04), but the same error remains.

usasma... I tried getting the UAA hotfix from the link you provided, but at the beginning of setup it said that the Service Pack of my system (3) is newer than the update I was applying (the hotfix is available for SP1 and SP2), so "There is no need to install this update".

Is there any way for me to confirm that I have the UAA 1.0a update installed? Any other ideas? Thanks so much...

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:28 AM

I'd try uninstalling SP3 and then installing the hotfix, then installing the driver (then re-install SP3 at your leisure).

Or, you can try getting the driver updates from HP. There's 34 different zx5000 models listed here: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_la...&submit.y=2

So, I'd suggest using this link to determine the exact model number of your system: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...8073&dlc=en
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 blackberet

blackberet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:43 PM

Fixed it!

Turns out it the laptop wasn't meant to use the aforementioned Realtek Audio driver. When I found the correct model number on HP's site (zx5190US), the only audio driver listed was "ADI 1981B Audio Driver for Windows 2000/XP". Installing that installed SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio in the Device Manager, and Realtek is no where in site. But now, music is playing!

Thanks usasma for once again getting me through a pickle! I think it'll earn me some valuable points with the girl who owns the lappy ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users