Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Computer Settings After System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jrsharp21

jrsharp21

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:20 PM

HELP!

So the other day I got a windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt file error. I tried to do a normal repair through the recovery console. No luck. So I used the prompt screen in the Recovery Console and was able to get the computer working by using these commands:

CD C:\system~1\_resto~1

CD C:\system~1\_resto~1> dir

Found a restore point from the directory. (R269 for reference purposes)

CD C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp269>cd snapshot

CD C:\system~1\_resto~1\snapshot>copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system

I received the message "1 file copies"

I then used the exit command and the computer booted up.

But now I see that every user has two user profiles. The normal username and one that is username.USERNAME. All my old files are in the old username folder. Also I am unable to start up any of my old programs like Itunes. Also my printer doesn't work. I figured I needed to load the drivers but I can't load the drivers because it says Windows Installer is not loaded on the computer.

Does anyone know how I can return my computer to how it was before I received the corrupt or missing file error? I tried to see if there was any restore points but it only has restore points from when I recoverd the system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

It depends on the age of the System Restore point that you chose. You copied the registry hive for restore point #R269 over the copy that was on the system (and was failing).

I can suggest 2 things:
1) Scan the Restore Points for a date immediately prior to the problem with the System hive and copy that one over - it may/may not work depending on what has happened to your system

2) Copy over the rest of the registry hives to the appropriate location using this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

BTW - this could be a result of the problem that caused you to get the missing \system file error message - so you may not be able to fix it without manually fixing all the errors associated with it.

Edited by usasma, 04 July 2008 - 07:51 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jrsharp21

jrsharp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

USASMA -

Thanks for the reply. I am not too familiar with the whole registry/hive process. What I entered in originally to recover the system was given to me by an IT person at work.

I checked the restore points, and there isn't available before the date I recovered the system. Where would I began in the in the commands? Should I just start completely over with all the commands?

Also I ran anit-malware last night and I had 30 something infected files. I am wondering if this contributed to the original problem.

Also sine the restore I am getting new full window pop up ads. Never had this problem before.

Would it be easier to just put all my iTunes files and pictures on an external hard drive, wipe the hard drive, and reload Windows XP?

Edited by jrsharp21, 04 July 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:05 PM

Well, with the infection that decreases the odds that a "simple" repair of the registry will fix things. Removing some viruses can take a lot of work - and if time is a factor you may want to consider a clean install of XP.

A clean install usually results in a "peppier" system - as it hasn't had time to get all that little stuff that gets into the system during day-to-day operations.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users