Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bartpe Download Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 djd1

djd1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:42 PM

Does anyone in the forum know of a website or link that a novice like myself can use to walk me thru downloading and setting up bartpe? I went to a download site but the instructions are directed more toward someone that is more familiar with computers then I am. Thanks if anyone can help.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

Hello djd1,

I find that youtube does have some good tutorials. Although the quality sometimes is not that great it does help in most cases.

There are more.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

These are the instructions from their website. Which step(s) are you having problems with?

Make sure that your system has about 500MB of free disk space!

Download the latest PE Builder version (self-installing package) and install it.

Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). When you start PE Builder for the first time it will ask if you agree with the license agreement.

Now PE Builder will ask to search for windows installation files. If you don't have your windows XP setup/installation files on your system you must insert the original Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD at this point. The files you have at c:\windows are not installation files. They are your already installed files! Click "yes" to start searching. PE Builder will now search all fixed- and CD-Rom drives for Windows installation files. This will take some time. When more than one valid location is found, a dialog will appear where you can select which location you want to use.

At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Burn to CD/DVD" option. When you are using an erasable medium, make sure that the "AutoErase RW" option is enabled. The "burn using" option should be set to "StarBurn". Select your CD writer device from the Device list.

Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".

The license for your Microsoft Windows XP product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes. You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD/DVD writer. If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the CD/DVD!

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 djd1

djd1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:05 AM

Thanks Budapest, I don't have the installation disk, I do have the recovery disk, will this work?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

I think it probably would work but I'm not 100% sure. Wouldn't hurt to try though.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 henri999

henri999

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

The BartPE instructions miss out the essential instruction which should be displayed BETWEEN the period when one is reading the installation files to create the material for the actual CD creation and the period when one is BURNING the supposedly magical new CD to resolve the problem. The instruction which to me is missing is this:

TAKE OUT THE XP CD AND PUT IN THE BLANK CD THAT WILL BECOME THE BARTPE CD

This is self-evidently the point at which one in theory should use the files created on the C: drive to burn a bootable CD.
Is one supposed to overwrite the MS original system CD belonging to a different computer just to rescue another machine? From the licensing point of view - may be yes but I don't think so, really. Do you?

I have just wasted some 90 minutes trying to make this work and failed miserably.

ALSO: In the interest of making things work: The entire instruction starts with the statement that you have to make sure you have 500Mb spare space before starting the process. Could someone advise me how this is achievable if the PC in distress cannot boot? The queries that spring to mind are:

A: Is the assumption that the BARTPE CD is to be prepared on a working PC and not the PC that will not boot?... I assume YES is the answer and if so:

B: When the instruction is to insert the CD with "installation files" should one insert the CD bonded (or belonging to) to the PC which works or the CD bonded to the PC that one is trying to revive?

C: Does it matter?

The answers seems to be important, at least to somebody who wishes to make no false steps. Any comments?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

TAKE OUT THE XP CD AND PUT IN THE BLANK CD THAT WILL BECOME THE BARTPE CD

I think they thought this step was self evident.

Is one supposed to overwrite the MS original system CD belonging to a different computer just to rescue another machine? From the licensing point of view - may be yes but I don't think so, really. Do you?

You do not overwrite the original CD. These CDs are not re-writeable anyway so you can't overwrite it.

A: Is the assumption that the BARTPE CD is to be prepared on a working PC and not the PC that will not boot?... I assume YES is the answer and if so:

You assume correctly.

B: When the instruction is to insert the CD with "installation files" should one insert the CD bonded (or belonging to) to the PC which works or the CD bonded to the PC that one is trying to revive?

It doesn't matter.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users