Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Record Sound

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:40 PM

I want to record what I hear over my speakers. All the programs I have found require the use of a sound card. My computers sound is from the motherboard. And there is the problem. I can not install a sound card due to the physical limitations of my computer. Is there a sound recording program that will work for what I hear over the speakers from the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

hello wrhatt,

Have you tried Audacity? it can be found at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ The last time I used it it did allow me to record what the speakers played.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I just tried it but it didn't work as advertized. With the volume controls at max I can just barley hear that I had in fact recorded from the speakers. I don't mind paying for the program if you know of one that works.

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:27 AM

That is strange, Audacity has always worked fine for me.

Windows movie maker does have this ability, http://www.metacafe.com/watch/746811/recor...ws_movie_maker/
Regards,

Alan.

#5 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

I watched the video and that is way too complicated for me. There has got to be an easier program that can record sound without using a sound card.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

Having onboard sound or a sound card makes no difference. You are not setting the controls correctly.
http://www.edhsonline.org/other/audacity/

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/tutorials.html

http://www.guidesandtutorials.com/audacity-tutorial.html

Edited by garmanma, 06 July 2008 - 08:35 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

Thank you Garmanma for your reply but it didn't work. My computer won't even download the bart.wav file. It kept playing it on QuickTime and to save it would have required me to purchase 7.0. Step 3 of 7 shows in the picture the "blue wave" of the bart.wav recording. On mine that is a straight line when I record. Even amplified to the max with the speakers on high you can just hear that something was recorded. I don't doubt that Audacity is working, I beleive it is just my computer. This thing blue screens once a week and sometimes twice a day, but for now it's all I have.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

download .wav files:
http://search.yahoo.com/
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

No go on the download. My computer will not show the download button. All I get is the red X where the button should be. Even right click show picture does nothing.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:15 PM

Could you tell me what download button you are talking. What procedure do you use to download programs from the internet?
Mark
Posted Image

#11 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:27 PM

Click on your link, click on the first web site which is softfile.org/detail/software/download+wav+files, it opens the web site for Hero Sound Converter and where the down load button would be is just a red X. I find this happens on web sites that my IE doesn’t trust. However I have spent too much time on this problem and can pursue it no further. This computer just won’t cooperate. Thank you all for trying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users