Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Reboots Repeatedly

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

To be honest, I have no idea what is going on with my pc. Suddenly and at any given moment everything just shuts off. When I turn the power back on it seems to be rebooting but after the black Windows screen I get a blue screen and it starts rebooting. Sometimes it just keeps trying to reboot with the same result, other times it powers off completely. This problem has only occured about 3-4 times now. Finally I have it up and running at the moment but I need help figuring out this problem. Please!
Recently installed SP3, a month or so ago. Don't remeber ever having this problem before that.
Since then I've had connection problems with the internet, turns out that it was the phone line.
Uninstalled Commodo Firewall, am now using the XP firewall, for now.
I have just uninstalled AVG 7.5, I intend to find another AV or install AVG8.0.
I have recently installed Windows defender, within a week.
Other than that I have made no changes recently, and the problem existed before those mentioned changes, except for the SP3 upgrade.
Thanks alot!
edit: forgot to mention that I can not use F8 to boot to safe mode or last known good config.
and installed the release for one of the sp3 patches Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-030 – Critical

Edited by Tom_Slick, 03 July 2008 - 07:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

This type of rebooting behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot, although SpeedFan sometimes gives screwy results.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

I cleaned the inside recently. All fans are working.
I have Everest Home Edition and according to the sensor, my CPU is 151. The HD is 115, and the MB is 88, gpu is 120. I am in an A/C controlled room, it's 73 in the room at this very moment.
I will say that I've seen this problem happen while it was much cooler in the room than it is now..

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

When you cleaned inside the computer did you check between the blades of the heatsinks? They can get chocked with dust.

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the reboot.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time of the reboot right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

The computer is clean inside, I double checked to make sure.

Looking in the Event Viewer, I see this error in "System":

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 7/3/2008
Time: 2:52:42 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-DESKTOP
Description:
The Print Spooler service depends on the LexBce Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Print Spooler?? I don't have a printer on this machine.
In "Applications" I see this:
Event Source: nview_info
Event ID: 1
Date: 7/3/2008
Time: 12:29:42 AM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : IEXPLORE: WAIT_TIMEOUT, while waiting for a read to clear - resetting read event

But I have no idea what it means.
Thanks again for any advice!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

At one point there was a Lexmark printer installed on your system. The System error message is due to a problem in starting that printer driver. Check in the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel and uninstall any Lexmark stuff that you find there.

The Application error relates to an issue with the program that lets you adjust your video. From this, it's evident that you have an nVidia video card (nview_info is usually a file used by the programs from nVidia).

Neither of these errors points to a reason that your system is rebooting. If there are no other error messages around the time of the reboots, then I'd have to suspect that this was a hardware issue within your system. Try opening up the case and pointing a house fan into it (be very, very careful) and see if that improves things.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

At one point there was a Lexmark printer installed on your system. The System error message is due to a problem in starting that printer driver. Check in the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel and uninstall any Lexmark stuff that you find there.

The Application error relates to an issue with the program that lets you adjust your video. From this, it's evident that you have an nVidia video card (nview_info is usually a file used by the programs from nVidia).

Neither of these errors points to a reason that your system is rebooting. If there are no other error messages around the time of the reboots, then I'd have to suspect that this was a hardware issue within your system. Try opening up the case and pointing a house fan into it (be very, very careful) and see if that improves things.

I had a Lexmark printer installed at one time, but it's been over a year since uninstalling it. I see no Lexmark programs installed in "Add Remove Programs". Is there another way to uninstall the faulty driver?
How do I fix the nVidia problem?
I'll try the fan suggestion, maybe it is an overheating problem. If so, I hope it hasn't done serious damage!
Thanks again!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

I formerly used Lexmark printers for several years...when uninstalled, they leave certain items behind.

If you want to remove them, you can do a manual search of files (using the Start/Search function and "lexmark" string) and your registry (Start/Run...type regedit...move the cursor to the My Computer top line, move to the Edit column, scroll down to Find...type in "lexmark" string...and search until you get the prompt that no other items can be found.

You could also probably just go to Services and disable the LexBce service, if it's still there and running.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

The actual error is that the Lexmark service can't be started - so the Spool Service failed because it's dependent upon it. Try this link to fix that error: http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrint...m#LexmarkDriver (it's a registry edit)

As for the nView issue, visit the nVidia website, download the drivers for your video card and install them. That should fix that error. Here's a link to start with: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

The fan thing is the simplest way to tell if this is an overheating problem - but while you're looking inside the case, be sure that there's no dust bunnies clogging the vanes of the coolers (especially the CPU and video coolers) and ensure that all the fans are operating.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thank you usasma!
I'm going to attempt to do the fix for the printer driver according to the link that you provided in your last relpy. But as for the nVidia driver, there is a newer driver available but the problem is that the file for download is 39+mb in size. I'm on dialup and I have never been able to download files of that size. I'll lose my internet connection long before that size of file downloads completely. And after searching the nVidia website, from what I can tell, my only option for obtaining this driver is by download. :thumbsup:
The reboot problem has yet to happen again since making this post, but I doubt that the problem has fixed itself. More help may be needed to address this problem, maybe not. We'll see!
Thanks alot for any additional and helpful info!

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

I used to use a download manager called FlashGet before I got a broadband connection. What it does is speed up the download and it also has a function that if for some reason you are disconnected it will restart where it left off once a connection is re-established. It works like a charm for dial-up connections...Great for larger files....

http://www.download.com/FlashGet/3000-2071_4-10566273.html
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#12 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

I used to use a download manager called FlashGet before I got a broadband connection. What it does is speed up the download and it also has a function that if for some reason you are disconnected it will restart where it left off once a connection is re-established. It works like a charm for dial-up connections...Great for larger files....

http://www.download.com/FlashGet/3000-2071_4-10566273.html

Great! Thanks for the info and the link!! I will definitely give it a try!! :thumbsup:
Edit: I've tried to download from the link you provided, twice now. Both times the download stopped before the full 4+mb file size was downloaded. It gets to 3.?? mb and stops. When I try to open the setup file after the DL stops, I get an error stating that the "setup file is corrupted or incomplete".

usasma, I attempted the fix for the spooler service per the instructions in the link that you provided. Some of the entries mentioned, I could not find. But I went through the processes the best that I could. Afterwards, I rebooted and then opened "Control Panel/administrative tools/Event Viewer/System" and I see this error:
Event Source: Print
Event ID: 23
Date: 7/5/2008
Time: 11:38:21 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Printer Lexmark Z23-Z33 failed to initialize because a suitable Lexmark Z23-Z33 driver could not be found.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

That printer is not installed on my machine. I did a "Search" and found nothing with Lexmark in the file name. I have "HiJackThis" and I ran it and opened the "misc. tools" section, looking in the "uninstall manager" I do not see anything printer or Lexmark related. I also have "CCleaner" and I cannot find any entries related to Lexmark or any other printer in the CCleaner/tools "Uninstaller".
I also Have "Everest Home Edition" which also shows NO printers installed on my machine.
Have looked in "Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs" and cannot find anything Lexmark or printer related there either. :flowers:
So I am now at a loss as to what to do next. Help please!?!?
Thanks alot!!

Edited by Tom_Slick, 05 July 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#13 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:50 PM

For those who have been helping me so far, please read my previous post as well as this one. I'm making this new post because my PC just suddenly shut down again. It did boot back up okay but when the login music played as my desktop was loading up, the music was very broken up. But other than that it seemed to boot up just fine. After it booted I looked in the Event Viewer and I see the following error, and this is the first time I've seen this one, and no help was provided by following the microsoft link. Here's the error:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: COM+
Event Category: (105)
Event ID: 4440
Date: 7/6/2008
Time: 12:01:58 AM
Description:
The CRM log file was originally created on a computer with a different name. It has been updated with the name of the current computer. If this warning appears when the computer name has been changed then no further action is required. NONE-JMKHVTA5XD

Server Application ID: {02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}
Server Application Instance ID:
{6052C6B6-1AE5-4A84-A8C8-280BC2F2C2F1}
Server Application Name: System Application
Comsvcs.dll file version: ENU 2001.12.4414.702 shp

I also see this in the Event Viewer:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: MSDTC
Event Category: TM
Event ID: 2444
Date: 7/6/2008
Time: 12:01:59 AM
Description:
MS DTC started with the following settings:

Security Configuration (OFF = 0 and ON = 1):
Network Administration of Transactions = 0,
Network Clients = 0,
Inbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Outbound Distributed Transactions using Native MSDTC Protocol = 0,
Transaction Internet Protocol (TIP) = 0,
XA Transactions = 0

Also, when my PC suddenly shut down I was connected to the internet and visiting a Car related website, maybe it's a coincidence but this is the second time that my PC acted this way while at that particular site!
Thanks for the help!

Edited by Tom_Slick, 05 July 2008 - 11:52 PM.

#14 superninja

superninja

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hey Tom sounds like your power pack is malfunctioning. I have owned 3 computers and 2 of them done the exact same thing you are talking about . re-booting for no reason and restarting and it was the power pack ....... I sugest replacing it . you can get a brand new one for about 30 bucks.

and budapest hit the nail on the head when he said This type of rebooting behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating . I used to take a big box fan and remove side pannel on my desktop windows xp computer and plug fan up and lean it right against opened up computer and run box fan on high and it would keep it from re-booting.......

P.S/ Can you please tell me/us what kinda computer this is . is it a dell ? compaq? etc....

Edited by superninja, 06 July 2008 - 12:11 PM.

#15 Tom_Slick

Tom_Slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hey Tom sounds like your power pack is malfunctioning. I have owned 3 computers and 2 of them done the exact same thing you are talking about . re-booting for no reason and restarting and it was the power pack ....... I sugest replacing it . you can get a brand new one for about 30 bucks.

and budapest hit the nail on the head when he said This type of rebooting behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating . I used to take a big box fan and remove side pannel on my desktop windows xp computer and plug fan up and lean it right against opened up computer and run box fan on high and it would keep it from re-booting.......

P.S/ Can you please tell me/us what kinda computer this is . is it a dell ? compaq? etc....

Thanks for the info, superninja! At the moment I have the side panel off of the case and a small fan circulating air into the case and it has seemed to help. Until last night when it suddenly shut down again. And the case is still open.
As for the power pack, I don't mind buying and new one and trying that to see if it fixes the problem. But I will also say that my current power pack is only about 10 months old. But I'm willing to try a new one.
Here's more info about my computer, sorry I didn't give this info sooner. The motherboard, hard drive and memory are all about 10 months old. I bought the new case, motherboard and processor, hard drive, memory, and power pack all at the same time. And have had no problems until now.

Custom built by "iBuypower.com"
160gig hard drive
Intel Celeron D 340, 2933MHz
VIA P4M800 chipset
NVidia GeForce 6200 256mb graphics
768mb ram memory
Sound Blaster Live sound card

If I left anything out, please advise.
Thanks!

Edited by Tom_Slick, 06 July 2008 - 03:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users