Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Rom Not Recognizing Dvds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am in the midst of rebuilding a computer, the same one mentioned in recent previous postings, and I'm having trouble getting a DVD Rom to recognize DVDs.

When I put a DVD in absolutely nothing happens, no errors, nothing. Windows Explorer states there is nothing in the drive, though there is. This is with a Movie DVD, which the Movie Player (Media Player and PowerDVD) doesn't even see there being anything in the drive, and with a PC DVD (Game).

However, the drive will recognize, play, install from any CD that I put in there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

OSC

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:08 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:11 PM

I'll give it a shot... thx

#4 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

Some things you can try:

• If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

• If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it. Though there is burning software installed, the problem was going on long before I installed it; again, I'm rebuilding the system from ground zero, deleted the partitions and reformatted. I am uninstalling just to see/make sure, but I don't think it will help; only because the problem was there before installing the software.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page. Didn't Work.
  • Use a different brand of CD/DVD. The two DVD's I've been testing with aren't read/write DVD like you'd by at the store. The movie is from Blockbusters and the game is a store bought game, Harry Potter and the something or another. However I did burn some photos to a DVD (Verbatim) and can't read that either.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits. I have a questions about this. I have one of those cleaning DVDs for a DVD player, like the kind you connect to your TV, will that work or is there a different type for DVD drives?
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled). Still didn't work.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

The simplest way to find out if the fault is in the DVD drive itself, or in the Windows installation, is to try to boot from a bootable DVD eg Windows installation DVD or Linux Live DVD like many computer magazine cover disks. If the drive cannot recognise a DVD to boot from, the drive itself is the problem. A lens clean is the only thing you could then try, otherwise the DVD section of the laser is normally what has failed (the CD section of the laser still functions), and the drive would need to be replaced.

Cleaning disks are not as effective as manual cleaning, but can be effective against dust/fluff on the lens. A cleaning disk designed for a DVD player should be usable - the drive will attempt to read the disk, and the brushes will have some effect during this time. However the cleaning disks are only as effective as intended if the drive can read them, and be caused to run the intended cleaning sequence.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users