Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is ActiveX

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

'lo again!

i know, i'm a total pest. :inlove: i don't know if i should post this here or somewhere else, but i rest assured you will put it where it belongs. :flowers: i
did a search on active x, and came up with 49 topics; read the first 4 or 5 :trumpet: ok, ok, i only read 3. could you either point me to the correct
tutorial, or please, PLEASE, explain what it is. i play doublecross at sierra-hoyle, and they made me download active x, which i was none too pleased about. should i remove it? and is that what is now allowing lots of aol pop-ups to sneak right
thru my pop-up blocker? help, help!

thanx, guys, you're the greatest!!

(nm) damgud :thumbsup:

Edited by nmdamgud, 27 July 2004 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:48 PM

ActiveX is a microsoft technology for small standalone programs that can become integrated into Internet Explorer. They have to be downloaded first and installed. If you trust the source then its ok to install it. If you do not trust it and did not ask for it to be installed then do not install it.

#3 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

thank you soooo much for the quick reply. looks like i barely posted it, and you were answering it!

i think i understand the active x better, and will be watchful.

i'm still curious, however, about those dang pop-ups...is anyone else experiencing them? they are ALL from aol..and just to give you an example, i left my granddaughter, who is 6, playing with her buddies at pbs, the dragons, maizie, etc. in the short time (20 minutes?) i left her alone, my bottom tool bar had 12 ads from popups! i have the google pop-up blocker, which up until now has done a fabulous job, and still blocks everything else.

i lied. as i was previewing this post, another pop-up came thru...from msn. so now i have aol and msn..it won't be long before it reaches plague proportions.

anyone?

damgud :thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:44 PM

Well, remember that some sites legitimately use popups. If they are coming from MSN or other legitimate sites they are probably not spyware and you do not need to worry about it as much

#5 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:06 AM

i wasn't necessarily worried about having spyware or adaware..i just want to get rid of them!! i mean, i don't mind one every now and then....but this is one every 5 minutes or so. they're ridiculous.

damgud

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:01 AM

Post a new log in the hijackthis logs forum and we will take a look

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users