Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My motherboard USB connector is not compatible

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 b_girl

b_girl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:05 PM

My motherboard USB connector is not compatible with my case front panel USB plugs. The USB connector on my motherboard (NetVista A22p 2292) is for one 10 (two rows) pin connector. The plugs on the tower (A-Top XBlade Black/Silver Ultimate Gaming Machine With 450W PSU & Side window, Model "AT859A-BK") front USB are two separate 4 pin USB plugs (They are VCC, USB1-, USB2+, GND pins w/GRN wire). What can I get or do to make them compatible? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:09 AM

Hi b_girl
Get your motherboard manual and check the pinout of that 10pin connector. (It is really two five pin connectors on top of one another.) The pinout should enable you to plug in your 4 pin connector and still have all the correct signals. The extra pin is usually an extra ground signal.
So you should be able to plug it in as pin+connector OR connector+pin. BUT you must match the signals in the correct order otherwise you can do damage to your USB devices and/or motherboard.

I did see a situation where USB1- and USB2+ were round the wrong way so I had to remove the wires from the connector and transpose them. but I doubt you will have that problem.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 b_girl

b_girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

Hi Rimmer,
Thanks for responding.
There is no instruction manual. I found the instruction manual for my computer on-line. It had a diagram of the motherboard, but the pins are not labeled. ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/netv...pdf/24p2934.pdf page 34. It looks like the pins are too close and I have tried many ways to connect it and no go. It is two 4 pin plugs, not singles. The board is not really labeled either. NetVista system-boards are only made for IBM, so they expect you to only use their towers and not move things around. In the IBM tower the front USB was compatible, but not this one. I am not only worried about splicing the wires and putting them in individually, but I don't think they will have enough space to fit and I am not exactly sure what pins go where!
Who knows? I am sure the answer to this problem will be interesting.
Thanks again for your help.
Angel

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 11 April 2005 - 09:20 PM

Don't you love IBM? They have to make everything their own way, even the standardised things!

This site could shed some light on the connector, but they are putting a new mobo in the IBM case not vice-versa:
http://www.miim.com/pc/audio/index1.html

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users